• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock Finish Other Than "Brown"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been debating on trying the minwax gunstock color on an Investarm stock I’m working on.
This was the second time I used it and I'm pretty satisfied with it for the Whitewoods. Not considering it for walnut and probably a mortal sin to put it on cherry!

This was the second time I used it and I'm pretty satisfied with it for the Whitewoods. Not considering it for walnut and probably a mortal sin to put it on cherry!
What are your thoughts on using it on my stock? I’m not quite sure what wood it is. Doesn’t work or smell like any walnut I’ve used before. It does have quite a bit of grain throughout the stock. The wood actually kinda resembles the beech wood on CVA stocks. I guess European walnut is really light?

You could also try a different wood. I did this in curly cherry for my dad. He had the parts for a number of years and finally let me finish it for him. He did all the sanding and finishing.

Attachments

• 20230523_134816.jpg
    20230523_134816.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
What are your thoughts on using it on my stock? I’m not quite sure what wood it is. Doesn’t work or smell like any walnut I’ve used before. It does have quite a bit of grain throughout the stock. The wood actually kinda resembles the beech wood on CVA stocks. I guess European walnut is really light?
Looks like beechwood. I have a recent investarms stock and it's definitely beechwood. I think walnut will soon be gone from the European ml market. More shrinkflation?? :(

The stock I showed above was beechwood. Probably should do some cautious checking In the barrel channel 🤔

I have another beechwood that I did with Watco. I,ll check the flavor in the morning.

20240721_080924_copy_800x600.jpg

While not a percussion rifle this is what I believe ia clear finish over maple. It’s a little darker due to aging and isn’t quite blond but more honey color
IMG_3152.jpeg
None the less I really dislike the color and wish it was a deep brown. Thinking about refinishing it.

If your stock is walnut you could do a military reddish brown finish like this modern stock. There's was oxidized tung oil but you can duplicate it with modern dyes.

MODERN STOCK.jpg

Always have a test piece or two and try some different things and see what you like ....or under the buttplate if no test piece . I just love the natural wood color , most of the time , so its easy for me .... Shellac or varnish coats ....DONE ! :) I sure love walnut for my trade guns ....

Back