• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock Finish Other Than "Brown"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a red stain years ago on a CVA Kentucky pistol and it was beautiful. Had a deep Cherry red color, wish I could remember the brand and color name.

Just for something to think about, I have read where some English trade guns were painted. And if my memory is correct, believe Mike Brooks finished at least one gun with a painted finish.
Check out Clay Smith's website. He's got pictures of blue muskets he built and a little bit of history behind the colors they used.

I did a SMR with such beautiful, tiger stripe, maple that after the AF and some heat I put ten coats of urethane on (wet sanding with 1200 in between coats it till it's as glossy and deep as the stock on a Royal Grade Holland and Holland double rifle. Not period or traditional by any stretch, but it's gorgeous, and super durable.

I did a SMR with such beautiful, tiger stripe, maple that after the AF and some heat I put ten coats of urethane on (wet sanding with 1200 in between coats it till it's as glossy and deep as the stock on a Royal Grade Holland and Holland double rifle. Not period or traditional by any stretch, but it's gorgeous, and super durable.
Could we see a pic of your gun?

Some maple guns were blond or honey colored. Red stain was popular in the north east. Green and yellow stains were also seen
Much of the darkness of today’s antiques are caused by oxidation over the years
Oh yes, the first guns I ever built were Dixie kits. At that time they had a stain called "ox blood" a very dark scarlet that aged nicely.

When I built my underhammer I choose blonde to finish the maple stock pieces. I think the not so common color goes with the unusual lock.

Attachments

• IMG_0027-1.JPG
    IMG_0027-1.JPG
    513.4 KB · Views: 0
I did a CVA Kentucky with a MI Wax stain/finish that produced a reddish hue. It's actually a bit darker than it appears in the photo. It can be darkened with additional coats.

The color is called "Gunstock"

20240724_083732_copy_800x307.jpg

Back