• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle Patchbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slumlord44

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently bought a .54 Mountain Rifle. It does not have a patch box. It may have been a kit gun but I thought they were standard. Any ideas?

for some unknown reason the .54 & .58 big bore mountain rifles didn't have patchboxes.

The Spanish-barreled guns have no patch boxes on them -- obviously a cost-cutting endeavor.

I've heard that the first ones were made here with Douglas barrels. If you want a PB they come up on E-%@#$% sometimes....Silver. Tom

I've heard that the first ones were made here with Douglas barrels.

I has around when the first CVA products came on market. They were all made in Spain. The mountain rifle came a bit later and, to my recollection, those were made in Spain also. It is the more recent models I'm not sure about.

Mooman76 said:
The parts were still made in Spain but the ones with barrels made in the US were marked made in USA.

I think of a barrel as a part but for some time they where assembled here with US-made barrels and "made in the USA." When this changed the patchbox was also removed. So...

...while I cannot definitively say that a Mountain gun with a patchbox wasn't made in Spain I believe I can say that any CVA Mountain gun without a patchbox was.

The 1979 CVA Catalog mentions no patchbox on the Big Bore (54/58 cal.) Mt. Rifles.

007-1-1_zps22f6b2c5.jpg

Yeah, it says positively these percussion .54 and .58 Big Bore Mountain Rifles have no patchbox -- I guess, as in the picture, because they are "hard working, unadorned" guns and patchboxes are for handsome, lazy, rifles...

...not made in Spain.

Lots of the original plains/mountain type guns did not have a patch box so only add one if it appeals to you.

Thank you all. They are available for around $17. Installing one is something I can do but I'm not sure if I want to mess with it or not. May leave it original. Now I know that's how they came originally.

Think that's best -- CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifles seem to be in a bit more demand these days and many are purists.

My CVA 50 cal was a kit gun. Has the patch box.
All I ever kept in it was the jag and worm.
I rarely shot PRB almost always conicals

Back in the mountainman era, I don't believe they carried ready made patches. Maybe a few did. And they would fit in there. But most carried a small chunk or so of patch material, cut it as they loaded, thus the patch knife normally hung around the neck.
The box was primarily for their ready made lube, as I understand it.
And there is nothing on my barrel to indicate where it was made. Just says Connecticut Valley Arms Black powder only 50 caliber and a serial number.

I think that's what I will probably do. Got too many projects now and once done it is impossible to undo without replacing the stock. I have guns with patch boxes but have never used them either.

I have a '81 version of the Mtn Rifle I made as a kit in Alaska. No box. I had to rebarrel recently and it's a great rifle.

In 1999 I bought a second hand .50, unsure of year, and it has the patch box.

Both keepers.

PD

The .45 and .50 caliber MRs have a patch box. The Big Bore .54 and .58 MRs do not.

The former have 15/16" wide barrels while the latter are 1". All have 1:66 twist save for the .58 caliber which is 1:72.

All the Big Bores were made in Spain and were introduced in the 1979 catalog but all were gone by 1985 though they made appearances as special editions in the 1990 and 1999 catalogs I have.

The .45s and .50s came out in 1976 with a 4 screw patch box. Though the ads and 1976 catalog shows six screws in the patch box. 1978 was the last year for the pointed 4 screw patch box. Presumably by 1979 they were all being made in Spain now with the rounded 2 screw patch box that was later used on the CVA Hawken from 1981 onward.

Latest posts

Back