• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just wanted to share one I picked up yesterday locally! I believe it is a USA 🇺🇸 made mountain rifle. Looking forward to shooting it.

Attachments

• IMG_7531.jpeg
    IMG_7531.jpeg
    939.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7530.jpeg
    IMG_7530.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7529.jpeg
    IMG_7529.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7528.jpeg
    IMG_7528.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7525.jpeg
    IMG_7525.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7527.jpeg
    IMG_7527.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Looks great! I have 2 USA made, a 45 and a 50. Both are fantastic shooters. My 50 loves 60g fff with .018 pillow patch lubed with mink oil.

I’m looking forward to getting it out. It sparks really good, which is a good sign.
That’s great. Both of mine are percussion. I had problems with the lock on the 50 and replaced it with an L&R RPL lock. What a difference! They also have flintlock RPL for the mountain rifle should yours become troublesome.

That’s great. Both of mine are percussion. I had problems with the lock on the 50 and replaced it with an L&R RPL lock. What a difference! They also have flintlock RPL for the mountain rifle should yours become troublesome.
That’s really good to know. I think the lock is “ok” but and L&R would take it over the top! Do you have to drill and tap a lock from them?

No, it took me all of 10 minutes to fit the lock to the gun. I was shocked it fit so well. I then polished the internals and browned it to match the rest of the furniture.

the CVA percussion is far and away a much better lock then the L&R ! the only advantage the L&R has is parts availability other then that the CVA is hands down a better lock
I bought three USA MR over the years. Gave the .45 to my older son when he was strong enough to hold it. Have one .50 that has never been fired. The .50 I shoot has somewhere between 70-75 pounds of Goex through it, 7000+ rounds. Still use the original triggers and percussion lock with no mechanical problems in 40+ years.

Nice looking MR! I picked one up from the for-sale section here back in the fall and cleaned it up. It still has the original lock but when I took it down and to clean it, I compared the parts to a Traditions lock that I have. Some of those parts look to be identical but I could be wrong. I do have the hammer from that Traditions lock on the gun now to see if that fixes my sticking cap issue.

Nice looking MR! I picked one up from the for-sale section here back in the fall and cleaned it up. It still has the original lock but when I took it down and to clean it, I compared the parts to a Traditions lock that I have. Some of those parts look to be identical but I could be wrong. I do have the hammer from that Traditions lock on the gun now to see if that fixes my sticking cap issue.
You could grab an L&R lock! That would send it over the top!

I bought three USA MR over the years. Gave the .45 to my older son when he was strong enough to hold it. Have one .50 that has never been fired. The .50 I shoot has somewhere between 70-75 pounds of Goex through it, 7000+ rounds. Still use the original triggers and percussion lock with no mechanical problems in 40+ years.
my first muzzleloader is a CVA kentucky kit I built it has the same lock as the mountain rifle and it has over 20k rounds through it and syill shoots clover leaf's at 100 yds off the bench with some body that can see that far

That's interesting as my Traditions hammers have the sticking cap issue.

Walt

Latest posts

Back