• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Stalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Well i got this rifle in trade. I have another mtn stalker but in 50cal and so when i saw the .54 come up, we worked out a trade and i ended up with a pretty darn good shooting rifle!

Im not a big fan of the sights, i plan on replacing them with a buckhorn rear and a brass blade front sight, but for now they work and able me to work up loads.

But her she is. Black and ugly :haha:

.54cal 1:48 twist 26" barrel.

Using 80gr 3f American Pioneer Powder, .015 TC patches lubed with Barricade and a touch of Wonderlube, Hornady .530 round balls @ 50 yards.
000_2197.jpg

3 shot group.
IMGA0093.jpg

000_2180.jpg

Next time i shoot it, i'll go out to 75 yards and work my way out to 100. Love this rifle! Have to check the Goex supply and see how much i have to work up a good accurate load with that.

I think it has a 1 in 38 inch twist. If you slow up things a bit with a lighter powder charge you ought to be able to use PRBs for 50 yard plinking, etc.

Nice find! My only BP rifle thus far is a CVA Mountain Stalker that my dad bought me when I was about 16. It is .50 cal, with wood stock and the buckhorn / brass blade sights you mentioned. One thing, though... the other day when I was cleaning the rifle, I decided to measure the twist rate, since I have long since misplaced the owner's manual for the gun. I came up with a half-turn of the cleaning rod in 14", and a near full-turn in the 26" of the barrel, leading me to believe that the gun has a 1:28 twist. Do you know if CVA ever made one with that fast of a twist? If that is right, will I ever be able to get decent groups with patch and ball, or am I going to have to start using minies?

shovelhead said:
I think it has a 1 in 38 inch twist. If you slow up things a bit with a lighter powder charge you ought to be able to use PRBs for 50 yard plinking, etc.

1:48 stamped on the barrel

gtv said:
Nice find! My only BP rifle thus far is a CVA Mountain Stalker that my dad bought me when I was about 16. It is .50 cal, with wood stock and the buckhorn / brass blade sights you mentioned. One thing, though... the other day when I was cleaning the rifle, I decided to measure the twist rate, since I have long since misplaced the owner's manual for the gun. I came up with a half-turn of the cleaning rod in 14", and a near full-turn in the 26" of the barrel, leading me to believe that the gun has a 1:28 twist. Do you know if CVA ever made one with that fast of a twist? If that is right, will I ever be able to get decent groups with patch and ball, or am I going to have to start using minies?

No way they had a 1:28 twist.

My .50cal has the faster 1:32 twist so maybe that could be it? There should be a stamping on the barrel somewhere with the twist rate.

You are probably right about the 1:32 twist. That makes a lot more sense, and God knows I probably messed up my measurements.

The only markings on my barrel are left side: the serial number, "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc.", "Made in Spain", "Mountain Stalker", "Rifle .50 Caliber BLACK POWDER ONLY"

and right side: the barrel pressure rating of "700Kp/cm2 L.2", an upside down "OF" and a small shield followed by three circles forming a triangle, which I take to be test proofs.

In any event, I am glad to see someone else has one of these rifles. I have been unable to find much info on them thus far online. They certainly are a lot of fun to shoot, though!

oh agree! Fun and accurate as heck.

Im not a big fan on the plastic stock but after looking around, they have home dipping kits with walnut print :rotf:

gtv said:

I have the same gun and it is a 1:48 twist. Mine shoots both the round balls and the TC Maxi balls very well. My round ball load is 85g FFg Goex, .020 pre-lubed patch, and a .490 Hornady PRB.

Bob

Kentuckywindage said:

Im not a big fan on the plastic stock but after looking around, they have home dipping kits with walnut print :rotf:

LOL... That I would like to see -- you could call it a "wal-not" stock.

@ Bob -- thanks for the info! I will be heading down to Bass Pro on Friday to see if they have any Goex, might pick up some maxiballs while I am there, too. Guess I'll just have to spend more time at the farm working up a load for this one... like I need someone to twist my arm :)

gtv said:
Kentuckywindage said:

LOL... That I would like to see -- you could call it a "wal-not" stock.

@ Bob -- thanks for the info! I will be heading down to Bass Pro on Friday to see if they have any Goex, might pick up some maxiballs while I am there, too. Guess I'll just have to spend more time at the farm working up a load for this one... like I need someone to twist my arm :)

I had my best accuracy with the TC Maxi balls when I used an over powder wad. I was shooting the 370g ; which I was using for a black bear load. A stout load for sure and definitely overkill for deer.

Bob

Back