• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA "USA" Mtn Rifle - ser numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is stamped USA.

Walks Alone said:
I already have documented proof of the obvious parts changes between the first and early second model MR's,

Well that's kinda what I was askin. What's the differance? Is it just what Mike said or is there more?

I misread. Sorry. Both of mine are first model. One is serial number 0057797. The other is not handy. If you want it's number, I will dig it out one day and post it.

walks alone, I guess my memory was off...I know the Mtn Rifle was the first kit I assembled, but beyond a demonstrated faulty memory, I have no idea of when I bought it..I believe I bought it from DGW...I know I bought my second kit there, Hank

No problem at all Pork Chop, and thanks for the serial number.

Also no problem hank. It's been seen here many times how memory can play tricks on us (it has always been very evident in the CVA MR's and TC ML threads for example). That's why some kind of documented proof is all that can be trusted and everything else is just hearsay or speculation.

Thanks folks for all your serial numbers. Not sure it tells us anything after all (as necchi correctly pointed out) other than the range does run from near 0 to at least over 65K for the 'USA' (1st model) Mountain Rifles.

Looks like this thread is going to continue going beyond my intended scope for it (looking to obtain serial numbers only). So even though its still got a bunch of holes in it I guess I'll post what documented material I have in another thread so everybody can speculate to their hearts content. Who knows, maybe somebody can fill in those holes with documented proof that I haven't been able to yet.
:thumbsup:

This should blow your mind. I have a kit gun I got shortly after CVA began in the early 70's and the serial # is 61XXX. This was a .50. Also got a .45 which I believe was a kit about a year ago off Auction site in unfired condition with Ser.# 9XXX range. Both are first model MR. First one my Son still shoots under 4" at 100yds and the second I need to finish putting it together. :thumbsup: Fox

My CVA made in usa barrel has round thimbles.My spanish one also has round thimbles,but they have the rings on each end. Serial no. for the made in usa gun is 154xx.

I have all issues of Muzzle Blasts from the early 70's to date, when I get a chance I'll look through them for ads.
Longball 58

I do believe this may very well be serial #1

scan001001.jpg

Longball 58

Thanks S. If you find and scan ads, I'd appreciate being copied with them to add to the collection I am putting together if you don't post them here.

My .50 cal Mt. rifle is from a kit I made in 1981 or 1982
and the serial # is 0117771.

Still a couple given that had a question and are not confirmed, but so far the USA marked MR's that members here have posted serial numbers for are (includes from other threads):

000006X Bob Krohn
000018X Friar Tuck
000765X Ndnchf
00084XX Dave K
000951X Silverfox
00154XX Billymas
002045X Pork Chop
002927X Black Jack 2
00314XX Ranger
003175X Boar-dilly
004108X Mulebrain
004392X Walks Alone
0050XXX brett sr
00526XX Mountainman56
005316X Woodtick49
0054XXX Lakota
005779X Pork Chop
006057X Mike2005
006101X Silverfox
00652XX Necchi

Lot's of other members have said they have USA marked MR's in older threads, but didn't post their serial numbers or I would have included them here.

WA

This is a subject that interests me-I bought a CVA Mtn. Rifle kit either in '76 or '77-I can't remember which. it is a .45,serial # 00424xx. It is a "Made in USA" marked one.
About 2 years ago, I was at a gunshow,and found my second one-it was a kit gun that someone had assembled,without any finishing or sanding at all. It came with the shooter's kit and powder horn. The horn,based on the photos in the manual in the shooter's kit,seems to be one sold by CVA at the time of these kits. I finished this rifle-it is a .50 cal, "Made in USA" marked, serial # 00219xx. Here are some pics:

S6000338.jpg

S6000339.jpg

S6000340.jpg

The Deluxe Shooter's Kit you pictured is like the one they show in the 1977 catalog (with the Colt flask). In the 1979 catalog the kit has the CVA brass cylinder flask that was introduced in 1978 instead, and the photo on the box cover is changed to show that flask as well. Your horn is similar, but does not have the same plug or finals as the horns shown in either of these catalogs. Might be an earlier/later version from CVA, or not a CVA item at all.

I guess all I was really paying attention to was the round ball on the spout plug of the horn. Well, it all came together with the rifle. I paid the same for the .50 two years ago as I did for the .45 in '76-'77: $100. I bought that .45 at the 'Powder Keg' in Plymouth,Mich.-long gone for many years now. The .50 was completely assembled, but in the white-the stock was unsanded and unstained, and the barrel and all the steel hardware was unfinished. Now that I'm retired, they might get shot a bit now.

Be careful of the CVA caps that came with the shooters kit. If you use them be sure to bring along a pair of pliers to get them off the nipple.

They are stiff brass rather than softer brass or copper that most caps are made of. They are stiff enough to jam on the nipple after you fire and take pliers to get them off.

Since you have the box and I assume some of the paper work, look for a copy right date. That may get you real close to when the gun was made. I have noticed on most items I bought that the paper work from the factory will have a date or a date in code, which helps me date it, at least somewhat. One thing you will know, is that the gun will not be earlier than the origianl paper work.

Checked your site. Dates seem fair. My rifle cost was $89.50 in kit form. Wife got it from somewhere not DGW. If I can find a receipt I will let you know. I know of at least 3 other early MR's and will get serial numbers from them as soon as I can.
Fox :thumbsup:

Back