• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dark Finish on standard maple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently working on a kibler woods runner with the standard maple stock. I did two coats of iron nitrate and then stained with cherry stain. It turned out pretty nice. I am waiting on a kibler Fowler also with the standard maple and I want the finish to be very dark, about the color of an eggplant. How would I go about getting the stock that dark?

Use the iron nitrate first, blush it with the heat gun, then the stain. If you don't have scraps to practice on, use the inner barrel chanel, small areas. Maybe one app of FN, then two. Maybe an area with no FN - sand, whisker, top finish, then choose

Logwood stain, is purple. I've used it on an Ohio Vincent that I built and thought it came out pretty dang good!

I have used an ebony toner. It might be Laurel Mountain. It is solid black and can be added to any stain to change the shade. I guess it would work alone.

I found that aqua fortis on the open grained areas of maple can really get dark, almost black. So, on my most recent builds, I scrub it back significantly with scotchbrite after blushing. This evens out the coloration between the close and open grained areas. It also seems to get darker with time. It's easy to overshoot with the stuff, so plan accordingly.

I've noticed a trend in stock coloring, in my area at least. In the 80S it seemed most wanted light shades of stain, darker in the 90s, and very dark now. The prettiest stock I ever had I left the color up to the builder having seen rifles he had made. That wa about 1978. He made the walnut very dark to set off the silver mountings but commented most buyers wanted lighter shades of finish but he deliberately went dark for mine. Gorgeous. On th right side of the buttstock he inlaid an 1811 silver coin. Lately though I've sort of leaned the other way favoring light, almost blonde, fancy maple with no extra furnishings.

Back