• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Date Stamp on Remmie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a never fired 1858 Remmie by Pietta today. I have looked the gun over from top to bottom, stem to stern and cannot find the date stamp. The man I bought it from said he has owned the gun about 3yrs and was too scared of chain fire to actually shoot it. Any other places where the date stamp might be other than the frame.

Look at the charts and links part of the forum, there is a list of date codes from various makers. I have the same pistol and can not think right off hand where the stamps are.

I have the charts printed out and actually where I can find them. Just can not find the marking on the pistol anywhere. Even pulled the cylinder, looked under the loading ram. Maybe it was a special one that makes it rare and worth half a million dollars :rotf: Not that is necessary to get the exact date just one of those things you want to know.

Does your pistol have the two Italian proof marks stamped on the frame?

These look like a star in a circle over PN and a star in a circle over a shield.
The date stamp should be next to them and on some older guns it is not in a box.

Zonie, this Pietta is different from others that I own. The PROOF marks are not anywhere on frame, barrel or straps. Only place the PROOF marks are stamped is on the end of the cylinder. On right side of barrel it has the standard FLL Pietta and on the left side of barrel it is only stamped Black Powder only 44cal. Been through all the typical and some not so typical booklets and info on marking for BP made by Pietta. Either someone got lazy or the stamper guy was on break.

A few years ago, I bought a Pedersoli Mortimer flintlock rifle. It had all the Italian proof marks but somebody had forgotten to drill the powder chamber making the gun fully unable to shoot. They had no way to actually test the rifle what shows that the rumors that the Italians don’t really proof shoot their guns are true.
With or without proof marks, your gun is just as safe as any other. They just forgot to stamp the marks.

Latest posts

Back