• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Davy Crockett's first gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i heard that Davy stoped at the ALAMO because they had a sign up that read "FREE SANDWICHES AND BEER" :haha: :haha: :haha:

brubincam said:
i heard that Davy stoped at the ALAMO because they had a sign up that read "FREE SANDWICHES AND BEER" :haha: :haha: :haha:

Looks ta me ... even with best intentions ... Ol Davy C. ended up gettin tha whole enchilader! :cursing:

Davy

Greetings Micanopy,

The figure of the person on the patch box of the James Graham, 1822 David Crockett rifle is none other than Congressman Crockett, himself.

Well...at least that is the story one Mr. W.H. Barnett, Sr. wrote in a letter, dated February 5, 1910, addressed from Broaddus, Texas, and addressed to, "Hon, Jno. W. Crockett Little Rock Ark."

I quote from Mr. Barnetts letter (who owned the rifle at that time)....."It all so has the perfect illustration of Davey Crockett on the lid of the tallow box in his gallant uniform with sword in hand".

Mr. Barnett goes on to state

"......After the death of Col. David Crockett....Mr. John M. Crockett sold this gun together with some [unclear word] articles".

"After Mr. Wade H. Hall, David Crockett's bossom friend.........Setled in Nacogoched County [url] Texas.......In[/url] January 1860 I bought the gun I have from Mr. Munrough Hall(a son)".

In 1860. Mr. Barnett's wife sold the rifle to a Mr. Whitton. When Mr. Whitton died in 1880, Mr. Barnett was able to buy the rifle back.

"In 1886 she was so badly rusten at each end of the barrel that I cut off at each end & put a steel britch (a patent breech) & a steel rib [under the barrel] & made her a half stock percushion lock gun using all of the mountin & American black walnut stock. She is as pretty as an English fiddle."

The original letter is owned by Dr. Bruce Winder. A typed copy of this letter is on file at the DRT Library on the ALAMO ground. The library staff will copy documents for you for a small fee per page.

At the bottom of the typed copy is this one line notation,

"Rifle Donated by Mr. & Mrs. Paul L. Failor"

Hope this information will prove usefull.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greeting All,

One last addition to my previous post. While scanning through some of my research material, I dicovered that a Mrs. Louise (CROCKETT) Failor from Carrizo Springs (Texas) owned the rifle when it was presented to the ALAMO in 1964.

That 1964 date confuses me, because I saw that rifle in the ALAMO Chapel in the early 1950's and several more times before 1964.

John L. Hinnant

Maybe she had it on loan to the Museum before she decided to donate it. That is pretty common in the museum world.
Don

JOHN L. HINNANT said:
Greeting All,

One last addition to my previous post. While scanning through some of my research material, I dicovered that a Mrs. Louise (CROCKETT) Failor from Carrizo Springs (Texas) owned the rifle when it was presented to the ALAMO in 1964.

That 1964 date confuses me, because I saw that rifle in the ALAMO Chapel in the early 1950's and several more times before 1964.

John L. Hinnant

Well I certainly remember it being on display in Alamo Chapel in the mid to late 60's ... before that I dunno. :hmm:

Davy

Back