• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

De-modernizing the T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was ordering some other "stuff" when I came across some Brass Black. Since I've never tried any of the things you guys are discussing here, prefering the brass as I said before, I have developed "something of an interest" in what you're doing.
If that should come about (a very big "if", but nonetheless, it's there)) If it came about, can the process be reversed, short of buying replacement parts?
What are your thoughts on the BC Brass Black? Has anyone used it?

BrassBlack.jpg

I found this at the Log Cabin Shop, I would suppose it's available about everywhere. 3 oz. for $7.60 plus shipping from TLCS. P/N: 60BB3.......is 3oz enough to do the brass on a Hawken?

Sorry to bother you with these elementary questions, but this is a whole new concept to me. I like Brass! But, After seeing some pictures, I also kinda like what you fellers are doing too, and I have a couple of Hawkins, sooo, we'll see.

Russ

JK,

I did not use the grease as I wanted a bit of aging. I just handled mine and let the little oil on my fingers get where it got. I had mill filed the barrel to smoothe it out and then polished it. I also rubbed a piece of cold rolled steel on it to burnish it. I then made no atttempt to protect the outside from darkening. I did lightly scrub any brown rust off with a piece of a 3M scuff pad/scotch brite dampened with a little oil or Ballistol.

CS

Russ,

I don't know about the Brass Black. I used Perma-Blue to darken mine and was fairly happy with the results--A nice, deep, antiquey looking color. It also will come off with a dab of elbow grease and some 4-0 steel wool.

Going out to the range sunday, weather permitting, and will stock myself up on nasty, filthy goex-infested patches to wipe down the barrel to accelerate the patina on the white metal a bit. It's already begun to darken a dab.

Russ: The BC Brass Black creates just a thin coating of the black color on the brass. It is a chemical process, not like painting the part. It is not really very durable so if the user wants it to last, he/she should coat it with a gloss or flat lacquer or polywhatever clear coating.
If they decide they don't want it any more, all they have to do is steel wool it off and repolish the brass. :)

Latest posts

Back