• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer aren't paper bulls-eyes.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
So, I'm relatively new to trying to shoot deer with flintlocks. I took my first deer ever back in 2006 with one. The next 4 years were essentially a drought with this year being the first year I had a shot at a deer. It was frustrating to say the least. I had a shot at a doe at 60 yards yesterday morning. My elbows were rested on a log and the shot should have been easy for me and my .58. Well, my heart wanting to jump out of my throt probably didn't help, but I think I sent that ball flying over her back. That afternoon, I had almost the same thing happen minus the adrenaline on my part. Again, a doe at 60 yards. Took my time, rested elbows on a sturdy log and that ball must have been sent sailing over her back. I threw the deer hunter's equivalent of a John McEnroe fit in the woods after that. Shots that I drilled at the range shooting at a black circle just didn't translate to the field. I'm thinking about just shooting at brown paper bags from now on at the range with no "target" drawn on it. I'm not going back out in to the woods until I can get this right.

Sorry to hear this. Was everything equivalent to the range? I mean was the shot on level ground versus up or down a hill? It would be interesting to here how it shoots at the range after these two high shots.

The shots were across level ground in to an open field. I just couldn't believe I was missing under these conditions. It really irked me. Ager is a better word. I was handed a virtual shooting gallery of deer yesterday and I messed up the opportunity.

I'm going to try to get back to the range some time this week and wear all my winter shooting garb and recreate the shot with my elbows resting on a shooting bench. I know what's going to happen. I'm going to put that ball right in the middle of a black bull. It really isn't the same trying to line your sights on fur.

You do have to pick a small spot on the deer to aim at. Don't aim at the whole deer.

Are you absolutely sure you missed? They don't always bleed right away. And they can run a long way dead on their feet.

Pretty much all the missed and botched shots I have made was because I over-shot the animal. I think it's common for most people to focus on the animal and not so much on the front sight, and we tend to put too much blade in the picture without even realizing it. Another mistake often made is the tendancy to shoot "at" the animal, instead of picking a small spot on it's side to focus on. This will also tend to cause a high shot.

Something that helps me with these problems is to practice quickshots at targets. Don't take time, just aim as quickly as possible and pull the trigger when it looks right. You will find that it's probably hitting high. Keep practicing this way and you will eventually find an intuitve sight picture that hits real close to the mark, and happens more naturally and quickly.

Can't speak for others, but in my case, taking too much time sighting in on game is like taking a test. If you stare at the question too long, your chances of getting it wrong go up. If quickly answer with your first gut feeling (or intuition), you're more likely to get it close enough. Good luck. Bill

Jethro224 said:
You do have to pick a small spot on the deer to aim at. Don't aim at the whole deer.

Are you absolutely sure you missed? They don't always bleed right away. And they can run a long way dead on their feet.

99% sure I missed. I investigated for blood trails for quite some time. The 2nd miss was too obvious. The doe ran 150 yards across a field and then stopped to look back. She milled around with her friends for a couple of minutes and then entered the woods.

I deffinitely think I was suffering from aiming at the whole deer. I'm so used to seeing nice crisp edges on a target that I wouldn't be surprised if I let that blade float up to the tops of their backs. I know I did that on the first deer.

I snatch up every large piece of cardboard I find. Then I cut it out into the shape of a deer. Then I take them to the range, and the most fun is to take them to the woods with you and set up a 3d range, if you will. The cardboard blends in just like a deer does, and it makes you pick a spot. Once I know my gun is sighted in, all I use are my cardboard deer. Great confidence builder to make difficult shots in the woods and get real experience. It makes you use improvised rests, and shoot through holes in the brush and all that good field stuff that you just cant get otherwise. It works for me, try it.

Dunno what to tell ya here. I gotta be having a really bad day to not hit where I'm aiming with my .58. Aim a third of the way up from the brisket and the deed is always done.

Swampy said:
Dunno what to tell ya here. I gotta be having a really bad day to not hit where I'm aiming with my .58. Aim a third of the way up from the brisket and the deed is always done.

It's just me and a lack of real shooting experience in the field, I suppose. My
.58 shoots where I point it, too. So, obviously, I pointed it above the deer.

Now, I hear these Roy Stroh rifles and fowlers never miss. I just heard a story about someone hitting a deer off-hand at 84 yards with a Stoh smoothie. I'm sure when my Stroh rifle arrives, all my woes will be alleviated. :thumbsup:

Could be a number of things...here's another thing to analyze:

While I hear you say you had your elbows resting on a log, if your sights are set based on shooting hunkered down over the rifle on a bench at a range...where it basically can't recoil back and up...its almost a certainty it will shoot high when shooting anywhere OFF the bench because then the rifle can recoil back and up before the ball clears the muzzle.

Always do final sight in and practice from your most common hunting position...for me its literally sitting on the ground leaning against a post at the range, simulating sitting leaning against a tree...elbow braced down on my chest cradling the rifle right in front of the trigger guard...very comfortable, very steady.

Trench said:
My .58 shoots where I point it, too. So, obviously, I pointed it above the deer.
There's another possibility. What makes you sure you missed them? That you shot over their backs? Many deer with fatal hits run off in a way that shows no signs of damage, go 50-150 yards before going down.

Spence

I know your pain. :redface: It happens. I get buck fever with does when hunting with a flintlock! That's why I love it so much.

If it makes you feel any better, I did the same with a fox a week ago.I was after squirrels and heard some noise not far but behind the tree I was rested against.My first reaction was , Ok another black to the bag.But instead I found out that I wasn't the only one with the same idea, as it was being chased by a red fox.I got the shakes at the worse time, and watch the .45 sail clean over its head and lodge itself on the tree behind the fox.I rushed the shot and yanked the trigger.
I tested that by taking a calmed shot to the same hole in the tree.Now there are two ball on the same hole.
Hunting and target shooting are not quite the same.I've been hunting for more than 40 years, and the day that I don't feel the rush and my blood pumping ,is ither the day to quit ot because i'm dead.

In practice, after you zero a load, turn the target paper around, so that you have a blank paper to shoot. Now, aim for the middle of the paper. Before using that hole as your aim point for more shooting practice, take the time to walk down to the target, and pull it off the backstop. See how close the Hole in the paper is to the Bullseye on the backside of the paper. Now, see how that "hit" compares to where your gun and load are Zeroed, using the bullseye for aiming.

Finally, do a lot of off-hand practice at that blank target, so that you get used to setting your sights on a blank surface, rather than having the convenience of that large Black bullseye. Shooting off-hand will never give you groups as small as when shooting from a rest, but it does act as a confidence builder. :hatsoff:

Back