• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer fat for grease or lube ingredient?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy317

32 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, I gotta ask. Everywhere on this forum there are recipies for patch and bullet lubes, grease lubes, oil lubes, firm lubes, soft lubes. The ingredients are all over the map - lard, bear fat, lamb fat, bacon fat, beeswax, mutton fat, olive oil, crisco, WD40, Pam, butter flavored crisco, sunflower oil, kerosene or coal oil, etc., etc., etc.
::
Most of us hunt deer. Why are there no recipies with that as an ingredient????? Bet our ancestors tried it, and most of the deer I've processed had pounds and pounds of the stuff under the hide. (Course those are big, fat, tasty NY deer.)
:winking:

Give it a shot and let us know.

I save the suet from my deer and put it in a little hanging cage for the chickadee's, titmice and woodpeckers. We had a guest once who was a vegitarian and getting on my case about hunting. I said: "You mean I should eat like those birds out at the feeder?"

"Yes."

"You know what they're eating?" :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

She honestly had no idea where suet came from. Thought there were suet trees or something, I guess.

You've got me just curious enough now that I may have to try rendering the fat down for a lube oil just to see how it works. Expect an angry call from my wife in the near future. :crackup:

Well if I am blessed with one of them big fat Northern Wisconsin deer this coming weekend, out of curiosity, I will have to see it deer fat would work. I really see no reason why it would not. Although I have never ran it through a double boiler to try it....

deer are a "lean" critter. They don't develop "fat" as we know it as body weight. Excess body weight is harder to move with equal muscle mass,,a "fat" deer won't run real quick(that's the deer's main defence"flight") Nature has given undulates a great mechinism,,tallow. Tallow is lean fat and missing a few of the hydrogen molicules needed for our use as a lubricant in high pressure/high temp applications such as patchlube. aka.burns and gets crudy really fast!
Elk,Deer,Antelope,,don't have fat, they have tallow.(ok tag me on that one,,you've shot fat deer haven't ya) But ya cain't get "grease" out a Deer. You can get grease off a cow,,and you can render beef tallow into "lard".

On the flip side,,tallow has medicinal properties!! tanning/cureing/storage properties. Dry hard kinda stuff,,don't like water,extra carbons,,makes a good healing salve with a few things added.
No rocket science needed here, go ahead re-invent the wheel, gosh,,,luck too ya

Well there you have it.

Deer do store their fat differently to be sure. In hard, modular packets along the backstraps and around the upper diaphram. They would require lyphosections instead of lyphosuctions. ::

I know it sticks to knife metal tenaciously. A lube that gummy would be a detriment, though I have been told lubes can also be too slick. :hmm:. I'm still going to give a test run to see if it can be rendered of its oil. Heck, if we can get it out of peanuts, linen seeds, teak wood and shale, how difficult can tallow be?

The marrow is pretty oily, too. I'm just not THAT curious.

I imagine any deer oil would go rancid fairly easily.

Well there you have it.

Deer do store their fat differently to be sure.

Not the old Lysergic, hand feed deer at the zoo's, they need the Stairmaster 2000...

You could always blend the deer tallow with other fats, like bear, hog, ex-wives, whatever, to make your own lube...

Gordy I do believe that we covered rendering animal fats into oils somewhere on this site, you missed your mark on this one. :blah:

Gee stumpkiller you want some fat ole coon grease i got plenty to share . I bet that will make a slick lube i slip in the fur shed all the time!!!!

you want some fat ole coon grease? i got plenty to share :shocking: . I bet that will make a slick lube :eek: i slip in the fur shed all the time :bull: :shocking: :shocking:!!!!

whaa?? i don't know what kinnda greasing olgreenhead has in mind. but we sure lost the topic with this thread did'nt we.

Well, my great-great-great-great-not-so-great-great-great Grampa Gato used the fat of a bird for his muzzleloader. His journals report it was marvelous stuff: never had to clean his rifle, grew hair back on his head, drove the ladies crazy if he dabbed some behind his ear, made him feel 19 again if he drank a bit of it and so on.
I guess that the fat of this bird was simply incredible for its properties.
Anyone know where I can find a Dodo bird? I've heard of them, but haven't seen any here in the remote Utah desert. Any of you guys got a line on Dodo hunting?

Back