• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Hunt Starts Tomorrow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have come home with small deer and got (that look)but the way i see it, its a trophy. small doe's or big bucks it don't matter to me i eat them all. Way to go!

A dead and respected 115 doe is nothing more than an older dead and respected 65 lb doe. A life is a life and if respected, and appreciated, it is all the same.
It cracks me up sometimes when a hunter is ridiculed for taking a 6 pointer instead of letting it go another year to be a 8 pointer. I do not eat antlers and can say with complete knowledge that a 246 lb 10 pointer is pretty damn tough to eat.

"I notice that there is a fawn in my neighbors yard. Well I know they are away for the next month on vacation and I took the shot. Dropped the Bambi on the spot, it struggled for about 30 seconds and expired."

Why shoot the neighbors yard fawn since they are gone?

Richard Eames said:
"I notice that there is a fawn in my neighbors yard. Well I know they are away for the next month on vacation and I took the shot. Dropped the Bambi on the spot, it struggled for about 30 seconds and expired."

Why shoot the neighbors yard fawn since they are gone?
because I let him hunt my back property when it comes time for regular season and I knew that with his entire family gone for the next month it was a safe shot to take.
It was one of 2 fawns I seen in company of one of the doe around here. There is another doe with 2 fawns I have seen around here in our yards. That means the other 3 fawns have less competition for resources. Not like I harmed the local deer population. There are still 'yard fawns' in the area. Not like I live in a town. I am literally in the forest.

You did nothing wrong or inappropriate.

It's funny how the concepts of the value of a hunter's kill changes over time. When I was a kid growing up in the UP, the idea of shooting a doe was abhored. In fact, in nearly all situations It was illegal. Success rates were low and bucks were hard to come by, yet many deer starved, including many does as well as male and female fawns.

There was no recognition of the value of preying upon deer in the same way that other predators do, which is pretty much random selection. The gradual change in perceptions has served to strengthen big game populations.

Nowadays we have a new detrimental concept of deer farming where property owners plant food plots and put out minerals for the sole purpose of growing "shooter" bucks.

More hunters need to be willing to kill game across a wide spectrum of age, size and gender to match natural predation and mortality.

As far as Richard is concerned, he isn't expressing any particular views, he is just engaging in his favorite pastime; polemics. :haha:

Congratulations on your FIRST muzzleloader deer.

I shot a doe with a muzzleloader it was the FIRST time my Mother had seen me or my Father take a deer Mom was excited and she loves deer steaks, jerky etc.

It took me three hours to butcher the critter.
Learned a few things about deer anatomy, and I am pretty sure that next time I do this, it will come out allot better looking. But the important part is to have good grub, and I am pretty sure I got that covered.
Seems my dogs really like the spinal column goo. Looked nasty but they wanted more. ewww

Cynthialee said:
Seems my dogs really like the spinal column goo. Looked nasty but they wanted more. ewww

If you have CWD in your area I would not let them have it.

Had the feeling that this would be your year to get a deer.

A great day...game seen, shots taken, and not, a clean miss, and a clean hit!

Sixty-five pounds is a good eating deer.

Congratulations. :hatsoff:

Cynthialee said:
Seems my dogs really like the spinal column goo. Looked nasty but they wanted more.

Wanna really treat your dogs, save up your veggie trimmings for a few days before butchering. Once you're through butchering, toss the bones, trimmings and fat into a big ole kettle with all those veggie remains, cover with water and cook till the meat is falling off the bones.

Separate the clean white bones and feed some, freezing the extras for treats. The stew of veggies, meat, fat and broth get portioned out and canned for later feeding to your dogs. Add it to their kibble over the next weeks and months, and they'll love you forever.

Note- I don't really like giving raw venison bones to dogs. No known link, but I don't want to chance giving my dogs a taste for hunting on their own. They won't know the difference with all that stew in your pantry. :thumbsup:

Wish I could treat them like that. My littlest dog turns into a mean gripe when she gets more than an occasional snack of red meat. My big dog has a touchy tummy and I can't feed him odd foods more than a taste, and my wiener dog is allergic to the world and I just don't care to risk it with him.
As I was working on the deer I broke open the spine and was looking at the spinal goo as I squeezed it out and it hit the ground. Wiener dog scored it of course... :shake: so I had to give the other two a taste. The big dog was cool with it and wanted more as did the wiener, but my rat terrier Lilly really went bonkers. She loves it. I'd have given her some more but the other two dogs were watching.

Hey Cynthialee congrats on your deer. You are blessed to be able to hunt so close to your house.

Here in Virginia we call those "suitcase" deer because you can pick them up with one hand!

just for practice I have been out there a few times sneaking around and searching for deer...Starting to think it was a really good idea taking that critter when I did.
There have been a number of deer shot in the area and they are all skittish and hard to find now.

pab1 said:
Cynthialee said:

If you have CWD in your area I would not let them have it.

This is good advice...if not for the dog's sake, for your sake, Cynthia. While any kind of link between human forms of the disease and animal forms is not definitive, CDC experiments have shown it is possible. From a CDC report: "A cell-free conversion experiment indicated that CWD-associated prions can convert human prion protein into its abnormal conformer, albeit at a very low rate."

The brain, spinal column, and lymph system are the primary locations you want to avoid handling. Be sure lymph nodes are not in the meat. Please be safe.

Here's a link to the total CDC report. After reading through it I think a person doesn't have to be unduly afraid, but a level of caution seems warranted "just in case."

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/10/6/03-1082_article

Got here late but congratulations on putting some Bambi in teh freezer. Ours season won't even start till mid-Novenber but runs till mid January. Still pumping up against 90 every day here in the good old sweaty south!! :wink: :haha:

Lessons learned this year hunting and target shooting under hunt conditions:
1/ Wipe the barrel between all shots. I use too tight of a ball patch combo to not clean before reloading.
2/ A minimal possibles bag may be light...but it won't have the thing or whatsits I need in the moment.
3/ Most of my hunt areas may be 20-40 yard shots, but there are too many 75-150 yard opportunities I am not taking advantage of. I need to sight in for longer ranges.
4/ Stash water bottles in my favorite spots before the hunt. Carrying water adds allot of weight.
5/ My rifle really likes the 275 grain conicals with a 90 grain charge of 3F Goex. Don't be adverse to using them.

Cynthialee said:
...Most of my hunt areas may be 20-40 yard shots, but there are too many 75-150 yard opportunities I am not taking advantage of. I need to sight in for longer ranges... My rifle really likes the 275 grain conicals with a 90 grain charge of 3F Goex. Don't be adverse to using them.

That combo certainly has lots of poop for a flat trajectory out to 100 or so if you sight it in dead on at 75 yards.

But I'd sure try shooting it at 150 before making up your mind to take such a shot on game. Trajectory is so loopy I'm betting you'd miss a deer completely if your range estimate was short or long by as little as 20 yards or so. Group size just explodes past 100 too, mostly due to sighting errors in my own hands.

Not being critical about your 150 yard ambition, rather I'm just reporting that it didn't work out for me.

Well hush my puppy! Lot's of good recipes out there...smothered vensison over homemade noodles being a specific favorite! :wink: :haha:

Back