• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Hunt Starts Tomorrow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my first meal from the venison. I made a stew out of the bones. Roasted them, then boiled them until the traces of meat were falling off. Used the aspic as the stock and the meat that came off the bones.
OMG it was so good. I literally had good food tingles from that bowl of chow. When you get that warm contentment spreading from the guts and it warms you well....yeah that is the one.

My season starts the 23rd, only a week. I woulda shot that deer too! A Trophy deer is a deer in the freezer. I have, several times, shot a small deer out in front of a "wall hanger". Why my buddys ask? Cuz he was closer....duh!

GOOD JOB!

Congrats on your first Deer! :hatsoff:

I agree with Brown Bear. while the unmentionables tend to do really well with smaller than bore conical out to 150+ yards the Ballistics of RB and bore diameter Conical does not do well at those distances.

A buddy of mine learned that the hard way. He shot a deer at 150 yards with a .50 cal Ballett pushed by 90 Grains of FF and tracked the wounded dear over a mile in the snow (thank goodness) to shoot it again at 50 yards. First shot was on the money but lacked the energy to get passed the ribs. It broke the ribs and stopped with little damage to the Lungs. Second shot broke the spine. Both bullets found in the critter first one rolling around in the chest cavity barely deformed and second one lodged in the spine.

While you can compensate and hit a target at 150+ yards the RB and bore diameter conical just don't have the Ballistic Coefficient to maintain energy at those distances.

I understand your train of theought, I think we all go there at one time or another. I know I did!! :redface: Especially when all the critters you are after are at 100+ yards. You have shown you can get within lethal range of your target! You can do it again!!

My two pennies... Just sayin'. :v

Congrats again and Well Done!!

Our roommate just might be willing to go hunting with me next year. Maybe she can talk Sevan into taking a hunter safety course and we can get 3 deer next year....

Thank you for the pointers and congrats guys.
It means allot.

It was the pointers on how to sneak up on deer I picked up from reading these forums that got me the shot. (I have read almost all the hunting posts over the last 4 years.)

Cynthialee said:
It was the pointers on how to sneak up on deer I picked up from reading these forums that got me the shot. (I have read almost all the hunting posts over the last 4 years.)

Wanna have some serious fun while continuing to hone your stalking skills, set out with a little pocket camera and work for close shots.

No closed season. No bag limit. Until it comes time again to trade camera for rifle.

Just be sure to post your best shots here! :thumbsup:

Back