• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Hunting with a pistil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asabai

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Have any of you hunted deer with a pistil. I was thinking of getting a pistil, traditional of course and was wondering what others used. I would mainly be using it for a quick second shot at close range and even more likely as a finishing shot. I was thinking that I would like a revolver, but would a single shot might have more power?

rusty nipple,
Mite want to check the game laws
in the states you hunt. In Ohio it is a :nono:
to even carry a pistol during M/L season.
snake-eyes :hmm:

I usually take a cap 'n ball pistol with me deer hunting, either my Old Army or a '58 Remington. The main purpose for me is when tree stand hunting, being able to make that shot off of your strong side at close quarters, a shot that would be impossible to swing that long barrel flintlock around to make. I have done this for several years and the opportunity has never presented itself, but one of these years it will so I continue to carry one into the field. It will be a nice photograph when I do.

The point about the state laws is a good one. Where I live there are no restrictions on the size of muzzleloader you carry into the field, its power or the number of individual firearms you may possess while hunting. A lot of other states are not this liberal, you will want to check your local laws.

Hey rusty...

It's perfectly legal to carry a handgun here in Missouri and if they ever change it I'm moving. So, yes, check your local regs.

For a "coup de grace" the revolver is adequate and I've known folks who use one, a 44, as their primary hunting arm. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable doing so. I do use one of two pistols. One is a Lyman GPR in 54 cal. and the other is a custom flint pistol in 45 cal. Either one is significantly more powerful than any commonly available revolver. I would have no qualms using the 54 as my primary arm within it's range limitations.

Vic

I hunt only in WI and to quote the 2005 regulations on deer hunting "Muzzleloading handguns .44 caliber and larger with a minimum barrel lenght of 7 inches measured from the muzzle to the breech face , that fire a single projectile weighing 138 grains or more are legal for deer hunting."

:hmm: Well I'm not a lawyer, but I think a single projectile means no buckshot, and does not prohibit revolvers, but before I make a purchase I'll contact the DNR.

Do revolvers have breech face?

rusty nipple

I'd have to agree with you rusty. It doesn't sound as if your legislature and/or game and fish department has gone stupid.

Unless you get one of the shortened versions of the '51 Navy Colt, '58 Remington or '60 Army Colt you'll have nothing to worry about as all their barrels are longer than 7". Breech face...if that's construed to be the rear of the chamber then yes a revolver has a breech face at the rear of the cylinder.

Vic

I use a muzzleloading pistol as an primary hunting gun. It's an inline 50 cal, 10 1/2" barrel made by Kahnke Gun Works. Used it exclusively for 5 seasons through regular gun season as well as muzzleloading season.

Shoot a 300 grain Precision Extreme over 80 gr of T-7 developing 1480 FPS average velocity. Muzzle energy is 1346 ft-lbs and at 100 yds (my limit to take a shot) is still 1068 ft-lbs. Enough to take any deer. Longest distance kill to date is 88 yds.

Great way to hunt if your state allows it and your not a traditionalist. :winking:

I consider the Kahnke more traditional than other in-lines. It has an exposed nipple and external hammer. It is that the nipple is tapped at a 45 degree angle , in-line to the removable breech plug. I too have one but with a 14" barrel. This spring when our pistol range should open up, I want to do some serious chronographing sessions.

....have both 10 1/2" & 14" barrels. Also have some chrony data on both. Not a lot but did some range work a couple years ago when the BP substitites started to show up.
The best results (charge weight to velocity) were with T-7, Goex 4F, Pyrodex-P in that order. Tried some others with poor results. If your just starting out then save yourself a lot of time and start with the Triple-7. If you have some of the other propellents (on your shelf or beg, barrow, steal from some of the guys at the range :rotf: ) then you'll be able to compare the differences without spending any more money.
I enjoy the range time as much as I do hunting with my Kahnke. Fun gun if you like a hand full :thumbsup:

Will look forward to sharing data and stories with you :yakyak: .

The Kahnke is a neat pistol. I have the 14" barrel in .50 but I am thinking about getting others in the future. I have been thinking of getting a 16" barrel for use as a carbine. I would like to see if I could figure out a method to add a butt stock to the pistol grip frame so I can hunt with it here in Massachusetts or neighboring Rhode Island. I've hunted with mine in New Hampshire for a couple years in a row but I have not shot any whitetails with it.

.......Bigbore........got this nice buck last season (`04) with the 10 1/2" barrel at 50 yds. Haven't used the 14" barrel in several years. Found that the shorter barrel is easier to carry and handle.

kcfarn.jpg

Back