• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemoke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you guys who deer hunt with your smoothbores use for loads. I have a 62 tulle that I`m going to hunt with this year, shots will be no more than 50yds.for targets I use 65grs. 2f and a 600 patch rb.

Loads range from 60 to 90 grains of FFg powder. Some even higher. The most important thing is Accuracy from your gun. At those distances, the ball can be expected to go completely thru the deer on a broadside shot to the chest- heart/lung area. If you powder charge puts the balls into a small group at 50 yards, you are good to go.

I have been shooting 75 grains of FFg powder in my gun, and the Chronograph tells me its giving me about 1020 fps velocity at the muzzle. But that is in my gun. Velocity may be 100 fps faster with that load in your gun. Your 65 grain charge should deliver 900 fps MV, but remember that you are shooting a lead ball that weighs 3/4 of an ounce, and Starts out at .62 caliber, and expands from there on impact, even at low velocities. :shocked2: There is NO modern bullet that is going to give you a primary wound channel that is as devastating to tissue as that .62 cal. pure lead Round Ball will give you on game.

Good hunting. :thumbsup:

Gemoke said:
What do you guys who deer hunt with your smoothbores use for loads. I have a 62 tulle that I`m going to hunt with this year, shots will be no more than 50yds.for targets I use 65grs. 2f and a 600 patch rb.

I found 82g of 2F Swiss with a half of a greased fiber wad (I cut them in half) and a .715 ball and bear greased .015 patch shoots very accurate out of my 32" Colerain smoothie. So far that load has flipped a buck end over end at 35 yards and dropped a big Doe at 75 yards.

My.62 smoothbore deer load is 65 grains of 3F, half of a 1/2" fiber wad lubed with deer tallow/olive oil/beeswax, and a patched .600 roundball. At 50 yards, this load will shoot a cloverleaf or punch clean through a deer whether shot broadside or end-to-end.

Swampy said:
I found 82g of 2F Swiss with a half of a greased fiber wad (I cut them in half) and a .715 ball and bear greased .015 patch shoots very accurate out of my 32" Colerain smoothie. So far that load has flipped a buck end over end at 35 yards and dropped a big Doe at 75 yards.
I was wondering how putting an over powder wad and a patched round ball would differ from just using the patched round ball? I shoot a DP 12 ga. slug gun and just use the patched .69 round ball. Would it be worth while experimenting with the OP wad too?

dgold said:
Swampy said:
I was wondering how putting an over powder wad and a patched round ball would differ from just using the patched round ball? I shoot a DP 12 ga. slug gun and just use the patched .69 round ball. Would it be worth while experimenting with the OP wad too?

If you follow the pages here, you'll see what I went through to get clover leafs at 50 yards. Took some time.
http://www.nimrodsplace.com/nefowler24.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 80gr. 2F, over powder card, 1/2 of a lubed felt wad .010 patck and a .600 RB. I don't know if I need the lubed felt wad but it works for me. Try different loads and see what works for you. Basset

paulvallandigham said:
:shocked2: There is NO modern bullet that is going to give you a primary wound channel that is as devastating to tissue as that .62 cal. pure lead Round Ball will give you on game.

Evening all. This Chicago-suburb-raised citified old boy finally got a deer tag after being out in Wild Western Illinois for 20 years. Figured it was about time to try this. I applied so late in the year that I had to wait on a lottery for the remaining permits and got an anterless only. Doesn't matter to me, since I have never done this before. I wait for a 'Trophy', I might be waiting, and waiting, etc... The permit came on my birthday (yesterday). I'll be using a .54, trying to decide roundball or Lee R.E.A.L, and since both are pretty much hitting at the same place on the targets I have shot, I am leaning towards the heavier R.E.A.L. bullet.

My two cents jumping in here. (And being happy that I am that I got a permit!!! :grin: :grin: )

The Doc is out now. :v

DrLaw said:
paulvallandigham said:
:shocked2: There is NO modern bullet that is going to give you a primary wound channel that is as devastating to tissue as that .62 cal. pure lead Round Ball will give you on game.

Evening all. This Chicago-suburb-raised citified old boy finally got a deer tag after being out in Wild Western Illinois for 20 years. Figured it was about time to try this. I applied so late in the year that I had to wait on a lottery for the remaining permits and got an anterless only. Doesn't matter to me, since I have never done this before. I wait for a 'Trophy', I might be waiting, and waiting, etc... The permit came on my birthday (yesterday). I'll be using a .54, trying to decide roundball or Lee R.E.A.L, and since both are pretty much hitting at the same place on the targets I have shot, I am leaning towards the heavier R.E.A.L. bullet.

My two cents jumping in here. (And being happy that I am that I got a permit!!! :grin: :grin: )

The Doc is out now. :v

Doc,

They all are 'Trophy's, don't worry if it has antlers or not. Main thing is to have fun and hopefully put some good venision in the freezer. :thumbsup:

I use 80 gr 3f with a snug/thumb start .562 ball for the first shot in my .58 French hunting gun and 90 gr 3f with a snug fit .600 in my .62 Chambers smoothrifle. I usually load a smaller ball in both for a follow up shot if needed, range sessions show accuracy is acceptabe doing such and they load better with a wooden rammer after the first shot.I like to keep shots under 50 yds, 30-40yds are ideal, which is pretty common in the thick stuff around here.

I find this topic very interesting as I plan to use my .62 smoothie on deer for the first time. I've been shooting my TVM Fowler all summer long, playing with various loads and listening to the advice of many here. My best accuracy has been with 65 grains FFF, followed by an 1/8" over powder wad and topped off with a hand cast .600 RB wrapped in an .015 cotton patch slickered by my own home brew lube. Having shot a couple of whitetails with a .440 RB and 65 gr FFF as well as several with a .530 and 70-75 gr FFF I have no doubt my load, with that big .325 gr Round Ball, will be more than effective on these "monster" whitetail :rotf: we have in southern Illinois. That is assuming the guy behind the gun does his part...always a factor in the equation.

John

I just used my rifled .62 with 65 grns. of Pyrodex RS. It went right through the deer at 35 yards. The deer was quartering towards me.

Thanks guys as usual very good info. I will use my regular load 65gr 2f fiber wad and 600 patched rb. this load has worked very well for me as a target load and I think it will take deer out to 50yds.

Back