• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer "hunting"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but often at night up a snow covered dirt road when frost formed on my beard, and I worked up a sweat enough to strip to a tee shirt. Only about a 1000Ft elv gain so not too bad a hike, but kept me in shape.

If you do that daily, stalking deer is fun compared to sitting inside a shelter hoping something will show. :blah:

P.S. I just did a route on two of my most favorite hunts, using crude routes on google earth, 1st was 12 miles October Mt in Ma. You can do 5-7 miles there without hitting an active road in the winter.

The 2nd was closer to 20, from West Wardsboro Vt (kelly stand rd), around Sommersett Res, across deerfeild river, to Glastonbury Mt, and back, did not get that deer but it sure was more fun than sitting on a stand, I slept well that night, and learned a lot.

:v :v :v :v :v :v :v

Seriously, Anybody else actually prefer stalking to sitting on a stand/bait/food plot? Anymore? Stalking was what I was taught.

Give it a try if you can get into big woods. Bring some food water and a compass, a map if you are not good with the terrain. Fire starters, a candle and some para-cordage, don't forget the knife. A small daypack so you can layer your woolen clothes, bring extras for bad weather. I also bring a couple pulleys to hang a deer so the yotes don't get it, if I can't drag it out that night.

No I don't have a cell phone or ATV.

Try it, you'll like it. :thumbsup:

Mad Professor said:
Seriously, Anybody else actually prefer stalking to sitting on a stand/bait/food plot? Anymore? Stalking was what I was taught.

Give it a try if you can get into big woods. Bring some food water and a compass, a map if you are not good with the terrain. Fire starters, a candle and some para-cordage, don't forget the knife. A small daypack so you can layer your woolen clothes, bring extras for bad weather. I also bring a couple pulleys to hang a deer so the yotes don't get it, if I can't drag it out that night.

No I don't have a cell phone or ATV.

Try it, you'll like it. :thumbsup:

I "grew up" still hunting, similar I suppose. The EXTREAMLY Brushy western Oregon lends its self to still huntin the edges of clearcuts, logging roads and the occasional medows... Its a FUN, great way to kill does and baby bucks.
Very few mature bucks fall victom to men on foot.
When I changed my personal goals from kill any "legal" deer to harvesting mature bucks then I changed the way I hunt as well to accomplish that goal.

Mad Professor said:
You guys ever get any tracking snow? :confused:

Sometimes we do...but not often. Down here alot of the terrain is very thick and the leaves are dry most of the time. :td: I don't know anyone who can stalk a deer with any success in those conditions. Two weeks ago after a good rain I stalked within 50 yards of a bedded doe without any issues. But the conditions have to be right to do it here. Plus the fact that most property is "Posted" and unless you trespass or go in circles you're SOOL. :shake: :td:

Mad Professor said:
Not in Alabama. And the terrain is such that your either on top of a ridge or down in a creek bottom. And as smo says the leaves on the ground makes for some noisy walking and it does'nt matter how slow ya go either.

Right, can't still hunt on corn flakes.
Scout them out, find their main staging / bedding thickets.
Set up an ambush point(s) along trails to & from those thickets.
Hunt the wind.

Mad Professor said:

Nope, we would starve down here in Carolina waiting on snow...

I prefer to find a nice white oak ridge where they are feeding and wait them out...If you are in the right area, it's not a long wait... :)

Still-hunting is a method I prefer. Once the deer is sighted; then it becomes stalking.

My current routine is to get in early, an hour before sunrise) and sit until 9:30AM (used to be later but two cups of coffee don't sit as long as they used to). Then I still-hunt until warm and find a spot to sit again. I carry a strap-on tree seat. End of the day I like to be motionless for the last three hours until official sunset (we can only hunt official sunrise to official sunset).

I've tracked a deer all day, him running me into swamps, though herds of does, running with the does. Sometimes 15-20 miles a day, then having to walk back to the truck in the dark.

Hmmm, :hmm: are you sure you hit the deer?

ebiggs said:
I've tracked a deer all day, him running me into swamps, though herds of does, running with the does. Sometimes 15-20 miles a day, then having to walk back to the truck in the dark.

Hmmm, :hmm: are you sure you hit the deer?

Sometimes you never get a shot at the smart ones :(

This is a subject near and "deer". Like Mad Prof. I prefer the still hunt and running the tyrack of the trophy buck. I've never harvested a deer from a stand. I,ve taken 32 deer, 25 with ML, and all by tracking them. I hunt the central Adirondacks, and the north central mountains of VT. This method of pursuit is the most pleasant for me, yet I will be the first to see anyone follow want works best and is most pleasing for them. I just prefer the solitude of the mtns. and big woods.

How a person hunts is up to them and as long as it is legal and ethical I will fight for their rights to hunt their way.

Trail cams, food plots, salt licks, heck where I do most of my hunting people set up feeders with corn to attract the deer and set up ladder stands 30 yards away. If it's in accordance with the local laws and it makes you happy then do it.

I enjoy going into the woods and trying to pattern the deer. Finding their trails and bedding areas. Looking for their tracks and sign like rubs and scrapes. Sometimes I try to find a good place to set up a stand and others I just still hunt the entire day. I really enjoy my time in the woods so if I do not get a deer that day I haven't really lost anything. I spend as much time scouting as I do hunting because I enjoy it and that's what has worked well for me over the years. I have spent a lot of time learning to track and learning animal behavior. Some people just do not have that kind of time so I understand trail cams and high fence hunts if that is what your after.

Up til this coming year I pretty much only hunted with a bow because I enjoy the challenge of having to get up close. I just recently purchased my muzzleloader because I enjoy shooting and have always been fascinated by these types of weapons. I plan to hunt with this rifle as well as learn a few things about black powder shooting in general. I got a .54 cal. Lyman Deerstalker with the fiber optic sights and it has a recoil pad on it too so I am sure some people would like to burn me at the stake but it was my money so I got what I thought was best for me to start with. I do see myself getting some kind of flint lock in the future but for now I figure this rifle is a good one to learn to be a solid and safe shooter and hunter with black powder.

How I hunt is the best way for me and I really don't expect anyone else to do it the same. I think people need to take more responsibility for their own actions and worry less about pointing fingers. As long as it is legal and ethical, you do it your way and I will do it mine and we will both be happy.

I enjoy going into the woods and trying to pattern the deer. Finding their trails and bedding areas. Looking for their tracks and sign like rubs and scrapes. Sometimes I try to find a good place to set up a stand and others I just still hunt the entire day. I really enjoy my time in the woods so if I do not get a deer that day I haven't really lost anything.

:applause:

I like this too, only I don't put up a stand. I hunt from the ground.

I also like to (when squirrel hunting), check out where the deer that I see walked..., lets me look at really fresh tracks compared to others of unknown time. It's the most fun when they put new tracks among the older ones, and trying to spot the most recent. I like it too just after a fresh snow..., you get to see some of the patterns of the deer trails across fields from one wooded area to another, sometimes not so easily seen when the field is grass, and the grass rebounds quickly.

I have a trail cam but I bought it on sale after this year's deer season, just to see if my estimates of the deer behavior were correct. I got some nice pics though I have trouble posting anything online... sorry. I got a good shot of a woodpecker, several shots of does, plus a nice shot of a lone doe in the woods in the falling snow...., next year's Christmas card for sure!

LD

Latest posts

Back