• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DGW TN Mountain Rifle Buttplate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace Eagle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a left handed TN Mountain rifle stock from DGW years ago with the intention of building it over time. Anyway, DGW has discontinued parts for this rifle and I need a buttplate for it. The stock has been pre-carved so not just any buttplate will fit. I bought a Bean style BP from TOTW hoping to make it work but couldn't bend it without breaking. Anyone by chance know where I might find a BP for this stock?

Phillip, did you purchase a kit? I have a LH Dixie mountain rifle I bought in the late 70s. You ordered a butt plate from TOTW; do you have their catalog? If so, their pictures are actual size. You should be able to hold your stock against a picture and find one close to fitting. Otherwise, you may have to reshape your stock.

Thanks mazo kid, I ordered just a stock from a sale flyer about 10 years ago. The BP I ordered from Track was a Bean style, I do have their catalog and it was the closest fit by picture but, it required some bending and I broke it doing so. I am using a L&R Durs Egg that required some refinement of the lock mortise and the rest of the furniture I got from Track will work. I am hesitant to reshape the butt of the stock because it is pretty narrow already. If I can't find a better fit BP I may try to forge on myself.

Your best bet would be to make one yourself. Most of these were two piece jobs anyway with a brazed and riveted joint. An easier solution would be to sell the stock to someone else and purchase another stock with more readily available parts.

Alexander L. Johnson said:
Your best bet would be to make one yourself.

I am starting to lean that direction just to give it a try. I had thought about selling and buying another kit but, I don't have a bunch of money or time tied up in this project yet so I will continue to hone my skills on it. If I foul it up too bad I can always use the hard parts on another gun.

Back