• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different sized wedge channel in Piettas?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought a Pietta(or so I was told) 1851 navy in 36 a few months back with a short barrel on it. It was an older piece but I’m not sure how old exactly. I bought a new full length barrel to put on it because I didn’t quite like the shorty. It looks like the new barrel fits tighter everywhere but the wedge area. The old barrel has a wider channel according to my caliper(15mm) vs the new one having a channel of about 14.5mm. I’m just making sure it’s safe to shoot before the fact. I’m sure I need a better fitting wedge to make it safe. Will just getting a new wider pin fix the problem? I tried tapping the existing wedge in deeper but it only reads 14mm at the widest point? Am I missing something? Thanks!
1729395137776.jpeg
1729395158193.jpeg
1729395177612.jpeg
1729395192501.jpeg
1729395202125.jpeg
1729395213432.jpeg

It looks like yours was made in 1999 and Pietta went to CNC machined parts shortly after that. The solution might involve some file work and a new wedge. BTW, your arbor is too short and needs to be corrected.

In your close up photo of the left side you can see that the barrel lug where it meets the frame has a larger gap at the top than the bottom. It should meet there with no gap and you should not be able to bind the cylinder by driving the wedge in.

Back