• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Disaster Strikes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guylabou

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Things were going well on my first gun building project until this morning. I have not figured out how it happened but I have over drilled my touch hole. (My 7/32 drill was setting right next to the drill press?!) I can slide a ¼ drill down that hole. The ¼ x 28 tap barely touches the side of the hole.
Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be solved or am I so far up the creek without a paddle there is no hope of coming back???

Barely Holding it Together, :(
Larry

Don't worry!!! In the general scheme of things, this is a pretty easy fix.

You can purchase a larger diameter liner (TOW, Chambers, etc). People also have made "custom-sized" liners by using a stainless steel bolt that is cut down to size, drilled and coned.

Thanks for the ideas fellas. Wouldn't you know I just ordered a bunch of stuff from TOW yesterday!
There is yet light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Thanks again,
Larry

Larry, I can just imagine what you must have felt!! However, as others have said, it is an easy fix with the next size liner.

That all depends on the size of the barrel. If it is a 3/4" barrel, you have a problem. If it is a 13/16" barrel it can be an issue as well, or a small bore A weight barrel, as the bevel edge of the vent liner will b on the next flats.

So.... What barrel is it ?

And is the hole you drilled perfectly centered in the flat ?

Before driling I spent a bit of time debating as to how high to drill the hole. I settled on a little south of halfway. Luckily it is a 1 inch barrel. I will be very close to the edge but with a little more luck I'll be ok.
Larry

Whew. I thought you were going to say you drilled through to the side of the barrel opposite the touch hole. If drilling an oversize hole for the touch hole is the worst thing you do on your first build, you're doing pretty good.

Be that the case, a 5/16" vent liner will work great & enhance the ignition. The only time I don't like them is on a small barrel or a small bore. On a small bore when you swab the bore that has a 5/16" vent liner in it you feel the vent liner hole as soon as the jag gets to it.

Back