• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Discontinued..Hoppe's 9 plus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a world of difference between the "Hoppe's #9" that for years has been used for smokeless guns and "Hoppe's #9 Plus Black Powder Bore Cleaning Solvent" and rightfully so.

The Hoppe's #9 that we all remember (and still use) doesn't dissolve black powder fouling so it won't clean our muzzleloaders.
It is a good scent to make a 'man cave' smell right though.

The Hoppe's #9 Plus Black Powder Bore Cleaning Solvent was made to clean black powder fouling.

My only complaint about it was they didn't rename something other than #9 it so it confuses people.

But Hoppe's 9 is a brand name,
not a product.
Hoppe's 9 makes many gun related items from solvent to oils too,,,
The only thing that doesn't say Hoppe's 9 on it is Hoppe's Elite line of products, http://www.hoppes.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, there was even a Hoppes #9 Air Freshener marketed for a while. I thought about buying one or two just to get a rise out of the wife.

I'm still waiting for the aftershave. :grin:

05/16/13
Hoppes No.9 Plus BP solvent & patch lube is alive and well.

I sent an Email to Hoppe’s Customer Service
(down at the bottom)

I just received their reply.
(Immediately below)

====================================================
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:05 PM
Subject: RE: Hoppe's: New Contact form submitted

xxxx,

Rumors will be rumors, at the current time there are no plans to remove this item from our line.
Rest assured that the No. 9 Plus BP solvent is NOT slated to be discontinued.

Optics Planet has it in stock and ready to go.
and it looks like midway usa will be getting more next week.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/hoppes-9-plus-black-powder-solvent-patch-lubricant-8oz-bottle-10pk.html
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...aning-solvent-and-patch-lubricant-8-oz-liquid

Thank you sir!
Hoppe’s
=====================================================
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:40 PM
To: CustomerSupport
Subject: Hoppe's: New Contact form submitted

The following inquiry was submitted via the Hoppe's website:
First Name xxxx
Last Name xxxx
Phone Number xxxx
Email xxxx
Comments or Questions:

“Rumor is that you're discontinuing this excellent product ???
Hoppe’s No.9 PLUS BP solvent & patch lube http://www.hoppes.com/bore-cleaners/no-9-plus

Please confirm, thanks, xxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Roundball! After looking at the link to Optics Planet, I ordered 6 bottles at $5.69 each. Free shipping on orders of $29.95 or more. :bow:

Thanks for digging into this Roundball! I have egg on my face :redface:
Thats what I get for beliveing Hoppe's on line sales rep. :redface:
Lesson learned!...dan

makeumsmoke said:
Thanks for digging into this Roundball! I have egg on my face :redface:
Thats what I get for beliveing Hoppe's on line sales rep. :redface:
Lesson learned!...dan
No egg on your face...your credibility is solid!
You were told something by somebody who should of known and were trying to help all of us by getting the word out.
It was just on a whim that I decided to fire off that Email directly to Hoppe's Cust. Serv. and you see the reply.
Heck, maybe SHE's wrong...LOL

(PS: and my 10 new bottles arrived today...LMAO)

You must shoot every day. And several guns at a time.
I don't think I've used up five bottles of the stuff since it was introduced.

Randy Johnson said:
You must shoot every day. And several guns at a time.
I don't think I've used up five bottles of the stuff since it was introduced.
No...don't "shoot every day" and don't shoot "several guns at a time".

However, I do think its funny that you're bothered by someone who buys 10 bottle of lube...LOL...what possible interest is it of yours what somebody else buys?
:hmm:

I've still got the better part of a 16 oz bottle of #9 Plus. It's so old that the pricetag says $5.

Whenever I finish it up, that bottle will be just the ticket to mix up a batch of MooseMilk.

I knew that day was coming when they started putting it into little plastic bottles and selling them for $1.00 each. :(

Its interesting that so many replies to this thread have stated substitute references for "cleaning', suggesting it may not be well understood that Hoppe's No.9 PLUS BP is actually also an excellent patch lube, particularly for dry, low humidity weather conditions.

I never use it for 'cleaning'...I use it as designed, as a wet patch lube that lets me shoot 40-50 shot range sessions during 25% low humidity winter months without wiping between shots. That convenience alone is worth far more to me than the little bit of money a bottle of it costs.

Others mileage may vary of course...

roundball said:
I never use it for 'cleaning'...I use it as designed, as a wet patch lube that lets me shoot 40-50 shot range sessions during 25% low humidity winter months without wiping between shots ...
Hear, hear ... dang GREAT stuff RB ... and I thank you for recommending it to me years ago ...

I started using Hoppes #9 BP lube when it was the old formula. Last I bought was a 2 gallon drum of the "new" formula lube. So far it's the best patch lube I've run across. But in the woods I start off with NL1000.

Back