• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Discouraging start to muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have an aircompressor, maybe blow it out with one of those rubber tipped airguns? I've even heard of replacing the nipple with a zirk fitting and using a grease gun to compress it out. That last one sounds too messy for me!

Yes it is a learing thing, and when you get it all figured out, you do something really dumb, like I did this week at the range. didn't stay fosus on what I was doing, and loaded 2 balls in the barrel. Figured it out when my ramrod wouldn't go down where it was marked. Used my co2 thing for the first time. Out poped 2 balls patches and powder. Glad there was no body around .

Back during late summer I had my first ML mishap since I first started shooting them back in the 80's. Was working up a load with some new cast balls and had my first two shots hit so close they almost made a single hole. Got really excited and forgot to put a sprinklin of powder down bore before I ramed the ball home. :shocked2:

Well, I saved the target and shot the third shot a week later just to make sure I had three holes in the target.. yep sweet load when ya remember the darn powder! :v

Regulis7

As for double balling, it's no crime and it is only dangerous if you don't ram the ball all the way down to seat on top of the previously loaded ball.

If you don't fully ram the second ball, you have created a bomb that can blow the barrel all to hell.

Fully seated on the previous ball, you are basically shooting a "heavy projectile" that is not any heavier than some of the bullets some people shoot all of the time.

In a .45, two round balls weigh 258 grains and in a .50, two .490 round balls weigh 354 grains.

Mad Professor, your method definately works as I've found out first hand. A better method yet is a little device known as a nipple primer. It's much quicker as well as more convenient due to the fact that it negates the need to remove the nipple. This device has yet to fail me! (I have a bad habit of failing to snap off a few caps prior to loading). You can get one of these through the Track of the Wolf.

Ill be sure and check and see if everything fits on my range rod
wink.gif

after reading your thead I wasn't sure why you put your barrel in water because it was still loaded. Unscrew the nipple and put a little powder in , make sure the nipple hole is clear and screw it back in, recap it and fire.
Bob

Latest posts

Back