• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Disgusting Day Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.flintlock

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got up this morning and headed for the deer stand. Once there I saw a doe cross one of my shooting lanes at a little before 8:45. She was moving in a trot. I cocked my rifle and set up on the second shooting lane but she crossed too quickly to get my sights on her. A couple of minutes later I thought I heard a grunt. Then I heard it again and a nice buck appeared and crossed the first shooting lane and in to a thicket headed for the second shooting lane. I got set up on the second lane and he walked into it and stopped. He was about 60 yards out. I rested my rifle on the shooting rail and fired. The deer took off. I waited for 15 minuted and went to get my deer. Followed the blood trail for over 600 yards before the trail disappeared. Never found my deer. We had heavy wind this morning and the only thing I can think of is the wind could have moved the tree and stand a little about the time I squeezed the trigger. I never found any lung tissue in the blood nor were there any bubbles in it. The blood was bright red. I found no bone fragments along the way. I had my sights on the chest behind the left shoulder. I hate wounding an animal. Last time it happened was Thanksgiving Day 2001. I don't like it any more today than I did then. Disgusting! Disgusting, Disgusting!!!

That is a very gut clinching feeling, Sorry about the bad shot.................watch yer top knot...............

Thanks Buford, I have passed up a lot of deer because I didn't feel comfortable with the shot. This was a sure thing(I thought) and I felt 100% comfortable with the shot. I must have hit the left front leg. I checked my sights when I emptied the rifle before leaving the property and they are still dead on. Damn wind!

Thank You bowkill, It does happen, but not often with me. I would rather let a deer walk than take a chance of wounding him.

I know it won't soothe you much, but maybe go back tomorrow and spend more time looking. Sometimes just that extra effort will make you feel better-you tried hard.

I feel the same way even if it's only a squirrel or rabbit so I think that I know how you must feel.

Vern

Yep, that sucks! If he went 600 yards he's probably still going tho.
Deer are amazingly tough critters. A buck I shot a couple years ago had a bullet in one shoulder and a broadhead in the other. My roundball did him in but he still went over 400 yards before he died. I got a doe once that had her left front foot gone! Completely healed over. She walked with a limp but ran like the wind. And I shot plum thru a spike with an arrow once. Looked good but a fuzz high. Never found him after a long blood trail. Shot him a month later with a slug gun. The arrow went above the lungs and below the spine. It was almost completely healed.

Wind can move a roundball quite a bit...

I shot a deer a few years ago that I was sure was freshly wounded based on a shot I heard 2 minutes before. I was totally wrong I put down this fawn that was limping, When I took off its shoulder and elbow it was full of bird shot, how it lived through that and healed up I do not know? I had to pitch the shoulder but the rest was good.

If you go back tomorrow to search for it, watch the skies for vultures, and listen to the calls of crows, and other scavenger birds. They will guide you to where the deer is located. If you didn't push that deer much , or too fast, he might just have found a place to lie down to rest. Look for thick brush that blocks the wind, or someplace near water. Animals need to cool their bodies from the adrenalin rush that comes on after they are wounded. They will lie down some place cool, and drink water if its near. They may even try to stuff moss, or leaves into a wound if they can reach it.

Stop looking for blood drops, and look for deer tracks. Go to some place where you know you saw blood, and take the time to look at the deer's tracks. Measure them with a pocket ruler. Take notes on all 4 feet, and look for anomalies- such a chip out of one of the 8 toes that make up its 4 hooves.

A heeled-over(Or fresh!) chip will help you identify that deer's tracks from all other similarly sized deer of that sex.

Whitetails are born in the spring, so that yearlings ( spike bucks) have hooves that are between 1/2 and 3/4" long That first Fall when we can hunt them. A 1 1/2 year old buck will have hooves that range from 1-1 3/4" long. A 2 1/2 year old buck will have hooves that range from 2-2 3/4" inches long. A 3 1/2 year old buck( getting rare to find these days) will have hooves that run from 3 to 3 3/4" long. A 4 1/2 year old buck will have hooves that run from 4 to 4 3/4" long, and will look like the tracks of a small cow, being more rounded, than heart-shaped as the tracks of younger deer appear. .

After that, the hooves don't seem to grow much in length, but as the buck ages further, their hooves tend to Splay more widely, and an almost permanent opening between the two toes appears in the tracks.

Its difficult( but not impossible) to age deer older than 4 1/2 years, examining their teeth.

If you hunt in corn country, the teeth on mature deer tend to wear down to the gum lines, and the bucks die from starvation and disease before they get much older. The same happens in areas where the deer are forced to eat tree bark through much of the winter to survive.

But, as far as its tracks, that splayed image indicates you are tracking an old HUGE deer. We have had deer killed here in the corn belt region of central Illinois that dressed out slightly more than 300 lbs. That means its live weight was close to 400 lbs. That is a HUGE WHITETAIL DEER!

[ NOTE: THERE ARE SEVERAL SUBSPECIES OF WHITETAIL DEER, and many of those living in the East and South of this country are much smaller than the deer we see in the upper Midwest.]

You can determine the sex of the animal that left its tracks by measuring the straddle- the distance between the right and left tracks, both from legs and then back legs.

Does have wider rear hips, because of the birth canal, and their feet tend to pitch outward more than do buck's hind feet, and the distance between a doe's rear feet is greater than the distance between her front feet.

A buck is the opposite. He has "skinny hips", and wide shoulders up front. The width between his front feet is wider than the distance between his rear feet.

Deer are " indirect Registering Walkers", meaning, that when a deer is walking, his rear feet tend to step almost directly onto and in the tracks left by his front hooves. Because his rear feet are closer together than his front feet, the rear foot steps to the inside of the tracks left by the front foot, leaving what appears to be a "doubling" of the track on the outside toe.

And, deer display eye dominance( 2/3 are Right Eye Dominant, and 1/3 are Left Eye Dominant) in their tracks, by the fact that their dominant front foot will take a slightly longer step than his non-dominant foot does. The tracks will show that doubling to the inside of the track, but on the dominant foot impression, some of the front of the toe of the front foot will also be visible in front of the full impression of the rear foot.

When you can use location, age, sex, and eye dominance to differentiate your wounded deer from all others in the woods, its a lot easier to find its tracks, and stay on its trail until you find it. Consider any blood you find to be the " Icing on your cake". The cake itself are the animal's tracks.

With the cool to cold weather we are having the meat should not spoil overnight.

Best of luck to you. :v :v

I once missed a deer, which one of my hunting partners then shot. I tracked that deer late in the afternoon as a storm "Blew" in with lots of wind, and rain. We lost the trail when winds blew all the leaves several hundred feet to the North, covering up tracks, and sailing away any blood we might have been able to see with our flashlights, and lanterns. We were sick of the fact that we had lost him, and his tracks.

I found what remained of him a month later, during the second half of the hunting season, with coyotes eating on the hide left on his neck, and very little else left of the head and jaw except the rack.

When the dogs left, I checked the animal to see where he was wounded- a 20 ga. size hole through its jawbone, that made it impossible for the deer to eat or drink. Then I went down the hill to my car, left my rifle, and walked back up in fresh rains, to chop off the rack. I gave half of it to one of the other hunters, who had a couple of projects he was working on. I kept the other rack to use for knife handles, and buttons for my pants.

You do what you can to recovered game you wound, and then accept the fact that sometimes, the elements work against you on this, no matter how much effort, or how much skill you have as a tracker. Wind, precipitation, and vehicles are the great track destroyers, and every tracker understands this. BTDT.

Better luck the next time. It must have been very exciting for you to see that buck walk into your shooting lane with your gun already prepared to fire. :v :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Thanks for all of the useful information about deer and tracking. I looked around again today but turned up nothing. No buzzards in the area. I am in hopes that I just nicked his left front leg.

They are amazingly strong. Back in 2008 I shot a nice buck from that same stand with the same 58 caliber rifle. He took off running and I heard him crash.I started walking the trail he left on and found no blood. I walked a short distance and there he was piled up. He never even disturbed a leaf where he fell. When I field dressed him I found that in addition to taking out both lungs his heart was completely destroyed. I guess with no heart to pump blood there may not be a blood trail. He ran 60 yards in this condition.He was literally dead on his feet. His brain just didn't know it yet.

I shot a bull elk once at about 50 yards through the timber. I had bugled him in, and he was looking around for that other bull. He was quartering toward me just a bit, and I aimed just behind the shoulder. When I shot he whirled around, and continued looking for that other bull, like nothing had happened. He showed me his other side, kinda quartering a little away, and by that time I had reloaded, I let him have it again, and he ran about 100 yards down the hill away from my truck. :( 54cal Great Plains bullet ahead of 110 grs. powder. When I gutted him, both lungs were gone, and his heart was blown up.
This is just to illustrate how tough animals can be, you don't know what has happened to them before you saw them, could be in the rut, moved by another hunter, etc.

Sorry that happened to you - and to the deer too, of course. I think it was very 'big'' of you to share your misfortune and remorse on this forum, and I tip my hat to you for that.

I am blessed to say that I have yet to experience losing an animal on a hunt. I have certainly passed up a lot of less-than ideal shots and I try to observe all of the rules of good marksmanship, but every time I do pull the trigger or release an arrow on a 'sure' shot I am aware that wounding or maiming is still a possibility for reasons beyond my control. It helps to keep hunting in the serious vein that I think it deserves.

Thanks again for sharing. Know that your intent was honorable and your heart is in a good place. May the rest of your hunting season go well!

Absolutely! THere are too many out there that just don't give a damn. I quit hunting with a guy because he wounded a nice buck with an arrow and didn't even try to find it.

Back