• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie southern mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florida Jim

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just Bought a left hand flint lock "Dixie southern mountain rifle" in 50 cal. I should get it next week.
Could some one tell me what the barrel twist is?

I just wish that I could FIND a southpaw Dixie flinter for sale.

IF I ever do, it will be left long BUT (like you) I'll want it freshed-out to a bigger bore.
(I wonder if the barrel would be OK in .58, so that I can use my current mold??)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
I just wish that I could FIND a southpaw Dixie flinter for sale.

IF I ever do, it will be left long BUT (like you) I'll want it freshed-out to a bigger bore.
(I wonder if the barrel would be OK in .58, so that I can use my current mold??)

yours, satx

NG on the .58

The full page ad for your rifle in the Dixie Gunworks,1980 catalog says your gun has a 41 1/2", 7/8" octagon barrel.

The .50 caliber barrel has a 1 in 56" twist with .010 deep rifling grooves.

The vent liner has a 5/16-24 thread.

In flint, the price was $225.

Thank you so much. That's the information I was looking for.
I'm looking forward to getting this rifle. It'll be my first flintlock. It's going to be an adventure.

I ordered some flints, and some leather from Dixie.
I currently have a left hand Lyman GPR in 50 cal. It shoots best with 3F, .490 RB, and a .015" patch. I plan on trying about the same load.

I read that 3F was ok for priming. Is this true?

Zonie said:
The full page ad for your rifle in the Dixie Gunworks,1980 catalog says your gun has a 41 1/2", 7/8" octagon barrel.

The .50 caliber barrel has a 1 in 56" twist with .010 deep rifling grooves.

The vent liner has a 5/16-24 thread.

In flint, the price was $225.

Later models, mine included had 15/16" barrels.

Florida Jim said:
Thank you so much. That's the information I was looking for.
I'm looking forward to getting this rifle. It'll be my first flintlock. It's going to be an adventure.

I ordered some flints, and some leather from Dixie.
I currently have a left hand Lyman GPR in 50 cal. It shoots best with 3F, .490 RB, and a .015" patch. I plan on trying about the same load.

I read that 3F was ok for priming. Is this true?
(emphasis added)

yes, you can use 3F for prime. after using up the last of my 4F, I tried my usual 3F (which goes into everything I shoot, except the .62 smoothie, which is still in the project stage)

while enough ink has been spent to refloat the Bismark on this subject, and there is a strongly held opinion that 4F is very much faster, it is my personal experience that if you use whatever you have as a powder in your horn for both charge and prime, you won't see an appreciable difference in performance.

The best advice I can offer is for you to try to get a small amount of some 4F and give it a try. see for yourself if it makes a difference in your rig, with your set- up, shooting whatever charge you shoot. The proof is not in some theoretical treatise with charts and arrows and glossy photographs, but in the strike of the ball where you want it to go.

In theory, it does work better, but in actual practice, it makes no difference for me. Try it for yourself, and see what works best for you, and go with that.

(this isn't to say that 4F shooters are 'doing it wrong.' ... if you like doing it that way, and like carrying the extra gadgetry, by all means go for it)

as a side note, check out Dutch Shoultz' method ... this will improve you accuracy better than a zillion theoretical musings on the relative merits of 4F vs. 3F.

Good luck with your project, and

Make Good Smoke!

I believe I can tell the difference in favor of 4F. Maybe it's in my head, and the difference is in micro-seconds, but still, it's apparent. I did use 3F and it works fine, but after switching to 4F, I was a happier individual. I don't mind carrying a separate priming flask.

Had a .50 Dixie Poor Boy. Shot good w .495 and .018 ticking on 60 gr FFg for 25 & 50 yds. Then used 90 gr for 100 yds. Been using 4F for 30+ years in flinters. Got some 7F and Null B to try.

Speed of ignition IS faster w 4F than 3F, Pletch's high speed photography (10,000 frames per second) shows that it ain't theory.
TC

Back