• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY brass wire lanyard loops

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my "first attempt" thread (https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/first-attempt-at-a-set-of-flintlock-tools.185194/), I 've been making large salt water surf fishing lures for 30 years and I used some of those techniques to make the tools.

I took that a step further and used some of those wire loop making techniques to do some brass wire lanyard loops for the tools.

Here are the steps:

Photo 1. The must have tool and the finished link on the primer tool. You can get by with pretty much whatever you have around, but you have to have a good pair of loop pliers. They have OK ones at most hobby shops. You will also need a bench vise with a nail clamped in it, and a pair of Vise Grips.

Photo 2. These are all the tools I use for the initial bending and for final adjustments. The lineman's pliers and the Sheetmetal benders on the right are used to square things up. You can do the job fine with two pairs of regular household pliers

Photo 3. The initial loop. Leave some wire to wrap over

Photo 4. Second loop bent in and ready for wrapping

Photo 5. On the vise, ready to wrap. I find it best to wrap over top towards me, but do whatever works for you. Use a pin in the vise that's closest to the size of the loop, The snugger that is the better the wrap.

Photo 6. Wrapped, ready to cut off with a good pair of close cutting wire cutters. File off any sharp edges left.

That's it, easy peasy. You can make them as big or small as you like.

Lanyard chain loop making 2 1.jpgLanyard chain loop making 1.jpg
Lanyard chain loop making 2.jpg

Lanyard chain loop making 4.jpg

Lanyard chain loop making 5.jpg
Lanyard chain loop making 6.jpg
Lanyard chain loop making 7.jpg

Just did one with two different size loops for a 35 gr powder measure for my squirrel rifle and a rectangular loop for the pan brush Antler Powder measure and loop.jpg
Flintlock brush and loop.jpg

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my "first attempt" thread (https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/first-attempt-at-a-set-of-flintlock-tools.185194/), I 've been making large salt water surf fishing lures for 30 years and I used some of those techniques to make the tools.

I took that a step further and used some of those wire loop making techniques to do some brass wire lanyard loops for the tools.

Here are the steps:

Photo 1. The must have tool and the finished link on the primer tool. You can get by with pretty much whatever you have around, but you have to have a good pair of loop pliers. They have OK ones at most hobby shops. You will also need a bench vise with a nail clamped in it, and a pair of Vise Grips.

Photo 2. These are all the tools I use for the initial bending and for final adjustments. The lineman's pliers and the Sheetmetal benders on the right are used to square things up. You can do the job fine with two pairs of regular household pliers

Photo 3. The initial loop. Leave some wire to wrap over

Photo 4. Second loop bent in and ready for wrapping

Photo 5. On the vise, ready to wrap. I find it best to wrap over top towards me, but do whatever works for you. Use a pin in the vise that's closest to the size of the loop, The snugger that is the better the wrap.

Photo 6. Wrapped, ready to cut off with a good pair of close cutting wire cutters. File off any sharp edges left.

That's it, easy peasy. You can make them as big or small as you like.

View attachment 348618View attachment 348619
View attachment 348620

View attachment 348621

View attachment 348622
View attachment 348623
View attachment 348624
Way neat and skillful!

Back