• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I need a side by side???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Hoping that all available "enablers" respond here.

I've not owed a double barrel of the muzzleloading variety. I think I "need" one. Why? I have no earthly idea. :idunno:

Of course my main passion is blackpowder hunting, and any double would surely make it afield with me.

So, there ya have it. Why should I get a double???

Best regards, Skychief

They are great fun. That's a great reason.

You don't have one. That's the best reason of all.

But, if you learn to hit what you are shooting at with the first shot, you don't really need one. :haha: :haha:

Spence

Skychief said:
So, there ya have it. Why should I get a double???

Best regards, Skychief

Best reasons:
1. Why not?
2. because you don't have one.
3. because they are fun.

Personal note: make it a flinter :thumbsup:

George said:
But, if you learn to hit what you are shooting at with the first shot, you don't really need one. :haha: :haha:

Spence

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: You call that enabling partner? :shake: :shake: :shake:

Haha, Skychief. :haha: :thumbsup:

Skychief said:
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: You call that enabling partner? :shake: :shake: :shake:
I predict this will turn out to be a self-enabling situation, so you don't need help from me. :haha: :haha:

Sence

If your a fan of upland bird, small game or waterfowl hunting, you're a natural for a double. First time you use it, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Of course, with my poor record for first shot hits, perhaps I appreciate the extra barrel a little more than most! :rotf:

From a technical standpoint, they can be rather versatile.

For example the Pedersoli Back Action Shotgun is perhaps in the top three of their best made guns. They are available in 12 or 20 gauge, and I have one in 20 gauge.

They are only choked in the left barrel, and that is a modified choke. Normally, upland game guns are Improved Cylinder (IC) in the right barrel, but Pedersoli left the barrels plain which allows you the shooter to launch a round ball from them, if you want to go for deer or even hog. When using shot the right barrel is normally the first barrel used, and up close with a flushed bird the lack of any choke still does a good job.

The modified choked, left barrel gives you a good distance shot, having a tighter pattern at 35 yards or so, depending on the shot that you use and your powder load. So IF you need a second shot you have it. It also gives a much tighter pattern out to 30 40 yards, so gives you something for squirrels, and even for turkey.

For cleaning they are like a half-stocked, plains rifle in that you move the wedge/key in the forearm, and the barrels come away from the rest of the gun. The wedge/key is pinned so that it will not come completely out, so you won't lose it. A small bucket, some soap, some water, a nipple wrench, and some oil and voila, the gun is clean.

I've taken a lot of upland birds and squirrels with my 20 gauge, and I do recommend them.

LD

They are a lot of fun trap shooting also.

But the best reason is they are so dadgum cool. I agree with TooMuch, make it a flinter, increases your fun exponentially.

I just purchased a pedersoli 12 ga sxs this year and have enjoyed turkey season more than I have in years. Buy one

You certainly asked at the RIGHT SPOT to be encouraged to buy a DB or a single or a cannon or whatever else that you fancy.

Fwiw, I wouldn't take love nor money for my circa 1870 DB from Dublin.- It's a 14 bore & has collected countless doves, quail, ducks, geese, squirrels & other critters over that nearly century & a half.

yours, satx

Pedersolis are not all choked the same way. Cylinder/Modified is currently the most common, but there are Modified/Full choke versions and all Cylinder/Cylinder versions.

Latest posts

Back