• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you shoot old "Originals"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original Afghan Jazail with British EIC lock dated 1805. Restored.
DSC00351 (Medium).JPG
Now a .54 rifled barrel with a Hoyt liner.

Rick

I want one like yours. Help me out.

And my German Jaeger .54cal was cheaper than my Kibler Woodsrunner kit.
Shows us how much our money has been devalued. But I've noticed especially in the last three years or so, the price of originals at auction are going way up. Even custom and factory replicas from the 1970's and 80's are bringing bigger dollars.

Rick

Great post Marplot on shooting originals !!
Very pleased that we met through this great forum & you've become the new caretaker of this unique Swiss Jaeger.
Nice to see so many forum members step forward who also enjoy the thrill of actually shooting historical firearms ,
a sport that has brought all of us together.
Photo of some original handguns I still shoot;

Due to health issues can no longer shoot my long guns so will be selling my all time favorite .70 cal. Danish Jaeger before long.
This rifles superb accuracy made it my number one competition & big game rifle for over 45 years.
The well preserved circa 1840 waterproofed canvas & leather trimmed hunting bag still has a leather capper & small game hangers.

Attachments

• French Perc. Officer's Pistol .70 cal..jpg
    French Perc. Officer's Pistol .70 cal..jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_E1991 (1).JPG
    IMG_E1991 (1).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3295 (1).JPG
    IMG_3295 (1).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1668 (2).JPG
    IMG_1668 (2).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Danish Jaeger img 2403.JPG
    Danish Jaeger img 2403.JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 0
Great post Marplot on shooting originals !!
Very pleased that we met through this great forum & you've become the new caretaker of this unique Swiss Jaeger.
Nice to see so many forum members step forward who also enjoy the thrill of actually shooting historical firearms ,
a sport that has brought all of us together.
Photo of some original handguns I still shoot;

Due to health issues can no longer shoot my long guns so will be selling my all time favorite .70 cal. Danish Jaeger before long.
This rifles superb accuracy made it my number one competition & big game rifle for over 45 years.
The well preserved circa 1840 waterproofed canvas & leather trimmed hunting bag still has a leather capper & small game hangers.
Morena ( Good Morning)
All the best for your Health Matua.
Kia Kaha ( Stay Strong)
Ma te wa( have a great day)

“Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle”
Fortunate to have an understanding wife that allows me to enjoy the hobby. Some of my best friends and memories have come from owning/hunting with old originals.
I still hunt with different originals each year - unfortunately, most don’t meet this forum’s requirements (date) to post.
IMG_5522.jpeg

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle

I have heard that before and fully agree!

100% agree with having an understanding wife, thank goodness.

Fleener

Here's one many of us are familiar with. An early 1800's Belgium flint smooth bore military style pistol. Made without a ramrod provision. (ramrod carried around the neck with a throng). You can often find these pistols at a reasonable price today as they were made by the thousands and shipped everywhere. They were made so robust that most you find today are still in working/shooting condition. This one here has most of the stock finish worn off. But all it took was a routine cleaning and it was ready for business again.

Rick

DSC00205 (Medium).JPG
DSC00215 (Medium).JPG

Couple more of mine Rick,
DSCN1821.JPG
DSCN2992.JPG

Fits in a first year Longhorn like it was made for it!
DSCN2882 - Copy.JPG
DSCN2884 - Copy.JPG

DSCN2900.JPG

The cow C**p in the last pic was some "Traditional" wadding I was trying!
Somehow it really reduced the oily BP residue!
DSCN2895 - Copy.JPG

As you see, it didn't shoot a shard as with a felt wad though!
DSCN2896.JPG

Below is how the Westin flintlock came....
370_2-201411722542_original.jpg

Last edited:
Couple more of mine Rick,View attachment 284344View attachment 284345
Fits in a first year Longhorn like it was made for it!
View attachment 284350View attachment 284352

View attachment 284353
The cow C**p in the last pic was some "Traditional" wadding I was trying!
Somehow it really reduced the oily BP residue!View attachment 284354
As you see, it didn't shoot a shard as with a felt wad though!
View attachment 284355

Below is how the Westin flintlock came....View attachment 284356
We applaud you for saving that fine fowling piece, very fine workmanship !

Back