• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anyone make/sell something like a snap cap cone to dry fire a revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a properly set up revolver the hammer never touches the nipple: there is just enough clearance to detonate the cap.

On a properly set up revolver the hammer never touches the nipple: there is just enough clearance to detonate the cap.
while that is indeed the ideal, most of the revolvers folks have do not meet the expectation

To the question at hand....I just use percussion caps. Get a fun bang and you are not messing up your nipples. (when we were kids my dad used to play quickdraw with me and my brother using his revolvers loaded with just percussion caps, fun times, probably not the dad of the year but we were having a blast) :D

while that is indeed the ideal, most of the revolvers folks have do not meet the expectation

To the question at hand....I just use percussion caps. Get a fun bang and you are not messing up your nipples. (when we were kids my dad used to play quickdraw with me and my brother using his revolvers loaded with just percussion caps, fun times, probably not the dad of the year but we were having a blast) :D
It's simple to do: you file each cone one at a time to achieve proper clearance.

I tried using leather and it was cutting a plug and clogging the nipples.
Went with uncharged tap caps and they work great.
You can really see exactly how hard and how flush the hammer strike is works on rifles as well.

Get a length of clear vinyl tubing (like that used in aquarium pumps) that friction fits over the nipple and cut it just longer than the surface of the nipple to cushion the blow from the hammer..

I have also heard that in times of need, this setup can be tweaked to be used to hold the ignition device of the self-contained ammo of unmentionables when caps are not available. :rolleyes:

I tried using leather and it was cutting a plug and clogging the nipples.
Went with uncharged tap caps and they work great.
You can really see exactly how hard and how flush the hammer strike is works on rifles as well.
You don't put it on the nipples, you put it in the curved channel where the hammer goes......lower than the nipples.

Get a length of clear vinyl tubing (like that used in aquarium pumps) that friction fits over the nipple and cut it just longer than the surface of the nipple to cushion the blow from the hammer..

I have also heard that in times of need, this setup can be tweaked to be used to hold the ignition device of the self-contained ammo of unmentionables when caps are not available. :rolleyes:
That's what I use. And by the way, they sell them already cut to fit. I think they are called "cap keepers" they might work.

True, but most common revolvers aren't that finely "tuned"; a guy on here is making computer-printed percussion caps that he puts the fulminate in; maybe he should sell them as "bumpers" for dry fire use.

Back