• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dog Lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was sold by one of the companies on eBay located in India as a snaphaunce lock. I’ve finally gotten a little cleaning and messing about with it and this is a Doglock right? It’s been a lot of fun to work on getting it to function again: I’ve been buying a few of these because they are relatively cheap and I’m not destroying anything of significant collectors value.

Anyway, there is nothing that slides the pan open and closed and it definitely has a working dog on it for a “half cock” sort of position.

Doc Phil
IMG_4630.jpeg
IMG_4631.jpeg

Hi Philip

I believe this lock is the one currently used to build the India made Doglock musket. It's an advancement over the earlier snaphaunce. The main innovation being the one-piece frizzen and pan cover. It's usually referred to as the "English" or "Jacobean" lock.
The earlier, original lock style had only the one notch on the tumbler for the firing position, like the snaphaunce. So, it was necessary to include an external, dog-like safety catch since the frizzen and pan cover were now one-piece. The snaphaunce, with it's separate frizzen and pan cover allowed the frizzen to be placed in the forward position, out of striking distance to act as the safety.

Rick

Let us know how it cleans up.
Today was the first reassembly after getting a great deal of surface rust off. My god the springs are stiff! But they are already softening up. I may need to anneal the frizzen spring but the main spring seems OK now. Tomorrow I’m gonna try to smooth it up a lot more. I have a 42” 50 cal swamped barrel with a slightly out of spec bottom flat that I got from Colerain. Going to try to scratch build a stock for it. Lord knows how that will go but I’m having fun.

Hi Philip

I believe this lock is the one currently used to build the India made Doglock musket. It's an advancement over the earlier snaphaunce. The main innovation being the one-piece frizzen and pan cover. It's usually referred to as the "English" or "Jacobean" lock.
The earlier, original lock style had only the one notch on the tumbler for the firing position, like the snaphaunce. So, it was necessary to include an external, dog-like safety catch since the frizzen and pan cover were now one-piece. The snaphaunce, with it's separate frizzen and pan cover allowed the frizzen to be placed in the forward position, out of striking distance to act as the safety.

Rick
Well new to me but interesting , Ide suggest you reposition the Dog catch lest the flint of any size will impede the face of the Battery ( moderns call a frizzen ) If you modfie the scear nose so as it slides up the ramp you can get an affective half cock in addition to your protruding scear nose giveing you full cock I've made these sorts in varius styles, Ile see what references I have to lead you to better understanding of these sorts. There are a LOT of these" Enigma variations on a popular theme by Mendelson ". But they all generally give you a cattywompas throw of the cock so generally spark well reliably .More then anon .
Regards Rudyard

Well new to me but interesting , Ide suggest you reposition the Dog catch lest the flint of any size will impede the face of the Battery ( moderns call a frizzen ) If you modfie the scear nose so as it slides up the ramp you can get an affective half cock in addition to your protruding scear nose giveing you full cock I've made these sorts in varius styles, Ile see what references I have to lead you to better understanding of these sorts. There are a LOT of these" Enigma variations on a popular theme by Mendelson ". But they all generally give you a cattywompas throw of the cock so generally spark well reliably .More then anon .
Regards Rudyard
Any help would be much appreciated. It's been a lot of fun learning how all these things work.

This was sold by one of the companies on eBay located in India as a snaphaunce lock. I’ve finally gotten a little cleaning and messing about with it and this is a Doglock right? It’s been a lot of fun to work on getting it to function again: I’ve been buying a few of these because they are relatively cheap and I’m not destroying anything of significant collectors value.

Anyway, there is nothing that slides the pan open and closed and it definitely has a working dog on it for a “half cock” sort of position.

Doc PhilView attachment 331060View attachment 331061

This is more appropriately called an English lock, not a Dog Lock, even though it does have a dog catch, there are features of this lock that retains a much earlier design, including the use of pins and a lateral sear. These locks were improvements to the Snaphaunce Era.

The mainspring doesn’t look correct, mainsprings of this lock type were more larger, in the case of this lock there would be no need for such a large plate.

A couple of quick observations, the internal parts do not look hardened.

The Sear looks like it has a crack in it, there’s a lot of pressure placed on the sear on these locks, you’ll want to make sure all surface cracks are filed away then the parts are hardened and tempered.

The integral sear lugs need to be straight also, so that the sear can privot freely, the bottom one looks slightly bent.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, what they said above, it's an English lock. Mine was sold as an "English Civil Wary Cavalry Pistol". I don't shoot it often, but it has been reliable when I do. Grease helps on the springs. Keep us posted on how your build turns out.

Attachments

• 20240701_133422.jpg
    20240701_133422.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240701_133651.jpg
    20240701_133651.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • English lock refinish.JPG
    English lock refinish.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 10-09-2022 003.jpg
    10-09-2022 003.jpg