• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Doing what I like best.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted W. Coombs

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I went out last Friday afternoon at about 1:30. It was nice and sunny with a bit of a chill in the air. The bushy tails were runnin. This is my favorite kind of hunting. I usually still hunt but it depends on how the squirrels are moving. When I was younger I didn't think it was a successful hunt unless I got my limit of squirrels for the day, which is five. Now I'm beginning to enjoy the hunt more then getting my limit of squirrels. Although I do enjoy a nice plate of fried squirrel, gravy, and homemade biscuits. The color of the trees and the smell of woods and the challenge with a flintlock, that's what I like. I hope others enjoy small game hunting too. Here are a few pictures of how I faired. :grin: :grin:

Teton Ted

gpansquirl2-1.jpg

gpansquirl4.jpg

Nice going Ted!

Squirrels are a lot of fun to hunt. Mighty good vittles too!

:thumbsup:

HD

Nice job Ted! I have never done small game hunting before, but I am thinking about trying rabbit this year. I hope I fare as well as you! :thumbsup:

looks like you had a great hunt! I love to hunt them squirrels too! I do wish we had a few more fox squirrels here, I shoot mostly greys.
HPIM1840.jpg

How ,bout a few good recipes?

Well, now you're making me jealous. I love small game hunting, and especially those squirrels. There's nothing like squirrel meat for pies and stew. I have yet to get out this year and actually get a squirrel with my .36. Thanks for the pictures!

I hear that!!! WAy to go! I am cooking some right now for squirrel stew.

Beautiful flinter too!
Wess

Thanks for sharing the photos and story.
Helps us guys who might be stuck at work.

PJC

looks like the end of a nice day of hunting nise going, looks like you were useing a smoothie, that is what I chase them with also.

tg I do use a smootie. Did you notice the shot snake over my sholder? I got the caywood fowler a year ago and am learning how to use her. Got a few rabbits last winter and hope to go again this year. It shoots a round ball pretty good too. Smooth bores are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :applause: Teton Ted

Mull Dover said:
looks like you had a great hunt! I love to hunt them squirrels too! I do wish we had a few more fox squirrels here, I shoot mostly greys.

How ,bout a few good recipes?

"gack" you eat those ?
:shocked2:
Must be a regional thing. I think the ones around here carry diseases.

Most everyone in Squirrel country has tried squirrel. Lots of ways to cook them. Squirrel soup works best for me. Lots of vegetables, pepper, a few chopped potatoes. served with a fresh role and hot cup of coffee. It's a whole lot of work for a little bit of meat but wouldn't have it any other way.

PJC

YOu can spice up the soap, or make it a stew by adding sausage, and ground beef, or add chicken chunks to it. Thicken it with real cream. Food for a KING!! :thumbsup:

Ok, my Son tells me he has a friend at work that shoots squirls for food, and he's tried some squirrel stew and liked it. So, I made him a promise I'd give some of their stew a try next time they make up a batch. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back