• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Barrel Flintlock Shotguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg250

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if any companies or gunsmiths are making double barrel flintlock shotguns for a reasonable price?

I'm not aware of any, but if'n ya find one, let me know. I hunt upland with a Pedersoli double, but I'd love one in flint.

Canerod

Havin' a basic idea of the amount of work that would go into one, regulatin' barrels and all, I figure any sxs flinter would be worth more than I could afford. Just need to find me a builder who likes bamboo flyrods for a little horsetradin' :winking: :winking: .

Canerod

You know what astounds me is that companies like Pedersoli etc can make a double percusion for a reasonable price , but refuse to make the same gun with double flints. It would not really cost them anymore money . why do they not do it ? Both use regulated Barrels and the same basic components and those companies all make flintlocks. I even at one time offered to pay them for a custom one and they refused . There is no reason one cant be made for $1,000 by the commercial guys if they wanted to .

I've got one in flint made for me by David Dodds,Selinsgrove,Pennsylvania. David said he would never make another one due to the difficulty.I'm not going to say how much it cost me,but I'll tell you for sure that David didn't charge me enough! Ed Rayle is presently making me a set of 16ga.barrels to augment the 20ga turkey barrels I have for it.

This,along with my .50cal H.House rifle(deer/hog) and my .32cal H.House rifle(squirrel) is going to wind it up for me!

Der Forster,
You certainly do have an auspicious collection! I agree, that collection certainly should do it, unless you have a lot more money and just like to keep collecting. May you enjoy your guns for life. Hee hee.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Eagles, if you really study the SxS flinters they are quite different from the SxS perc. guns. Yes, the barrels are SxS, but the location of the locks is all different. Perc. locks more or less fit under the barrels. Flint locks are aside of the barrels. This also changes the positioning angle of the locks, to make the wrist a little more slender. Granted, not all are made that way, it just depends on what period of flinter, you are recreating. It would be great though if someone were to factory build one.

How do you like the Pederosoli double? I may get one of those and look for a flint in the future (when I win the lottery). For me, a reasonable price is $1000 or less. Pederosoli makes the mortimer flint for around $950....I like the idea of flint, but definetely want two barrels....

Here's something for you to look at :grin:
Double flint gun
Another double flint gun
I built the first one probably eight years ago and the second I delivered last September.
The first one won the "Top Gun" award in sporting clays at the nationals last year. Of course it may have had alot to do with the guy pulling the trigger too.... :grin:

Dave, I do realize the differance in placement of the locks. I used to go through the gun shows looking for old percusion doubles that were formerly flinters and then had them reconverted. Picked up some great doubles like that I hunted with for a very reasonble price. I also bought a pair of Pedersoli 72 caliber rifled barrels , had them rechambered and a side by side double rifle made from them. What I was saying was the component parts , locks, two tubes and a stock and furniture cost appx the same thing. Yet a double percusion can be had for apx $1,000 andn far less used, but as soon as you say double flint WOW, the price easily triples and more which is silly. Pedersoli or others could make a double flint for the same price as a percusion but they wont make any for some reason which drives up the prices for the custom guns as it is the only show in town . It seems dumb they are missing out on this market. That said they would not equal a good custom gun like the ones shown here.

Greg250 said:
For me, a reasonable price is $1000 or less.

I built one last year. In canadian $'s it cost, $200 for the wood, $150x2 for the locks, the barrels were free (salvaged them from an old suppository gun) and I made everything else. So it cost me $500 and took something like 200-300 hours (didn't keep track). So lets say 250 hours. To make one for $1000us ($1200cad) that would be < $3 per hour and I pay my kid $10 per hour to cut the lawn :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: . I think what you mean is "For me, I'ld like to get one for $1000 or less". However, that is not a "reasonable" price IMO. Mike Brooks builds them for a VERY reasonable price IMO and I think he starts at about $3000us or so. Last time I talked to Mike Ehinger, he told me his sxs flints START at $18,000US for a plain one and go up from there. These things are not cheap. But there IS a reason. You just can't build an S class Mercedes for the price of a Yugo. Your best bet is to look for an original that was converted to perc and reconvert it. I have one that I think I paid $750cad and then replaced the locks with L&R locks. Modified the lockplates to fit the mortice. Total cost, about $1100cad and i can still put the original locks and drums back in at any time.

The one i converted 20GA
topafter.jpg

The one I built 12GA
full.jpg

tang.jpg

rightlock.jpg

heel.jpg

Cody

Cody -

I realize the time and workmanship that goes into a custom built gun....that's why I was hoping that there was a manufactured double. I will probably have to go with percussion for a few years....

The two shotguns you did look incredible! I particularly like the 12 guage....awesome... :bow:

Mike -

Incredible looking guns! The metal work on the first is really great.... :bow:

Greg250 said:
Cody -

I will probably have to go with percussion for a few years....

I bought a Pedersoli 10 ga. s x s three years ago. Love it! Took a big gobbler with 10" beard with it last year. A flint Pedersoli would be cool.

What made you choose the 10 rather than the 12? I have been thinking about getting the 12, but am torn between it and the 10...

Mike Brooks said:
Did you engrave that Cody?

Yes Mike, I did. Thanks for the compliment :)

Greg250, Thank you for the kind words. If you are going to go perc, you may want to consider getting an old one (original). A good sxs perc from the min 19th century can be had for $500. An AWSOME one can be had for $1000.

Cody

Here is another.
[url] http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976634019.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I just like things that are different but I find all this talk of SxS shootguns to be boring. I found this double and if like you I can find the money and gun maker with the vision to try this is my idea of a flintlock double barrel shotgun.

OverUnderFlintsmall.jpg

Back