• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double barreled rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have You some information about an American double barreled rifles with percussion lock? If they were used in US off course. I seen one specimen of Polish capslock rifle with two barrels. I know in central and eastern Europe they were used for hunting bears, boars and wolfs.
best regards :hatsoff:
bartek

bavarialand said:
not to many around here in the U.S.. most were custom made. Cabelas used to sell a double barreled Kodiak rifle. check them out at[url] cabelas.com[/url], Dave
They do. It's a Pedersoli "Kodiak" double. .50, .54. & .72 IIRC. Around $800.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're speaking of "back-in-the-day", yes there were some but never common due to the expense. Billinghurst was one well known maker of double rifles. Originals are quite rare today, partially because they were rather expensive and also because the percussion ML era was quite short. Percussion guns didn't become common until after 1835 and by 1875 most people buying new guns wanted breechloaders. In the U.S. I'd say that "combination guns" with one rifled and one smoothbore barrel were more common than double rifles because they were more versatile. :grin:

p006563hz02.jpg

Cabelas Pedersoli Kodiak Express Double Rifle

(edit - IMO twist is too fast for these guns... and I'm a 1/48 shooter... :shake: )

There have been several double barrel guns used in the United States, both smoothbored and rifled.
Until the Percussion Era, most of these were made in Europe.

These guns include the side by side guns and over/under barreled guns.
Of the over/under barreled guns some of them had barrels which could rotate about a pin at the breech. This allowed firing the top barrel, then pressing a release, rotating both barrels 180 degrees and then firing the second barrel.
This type of gun was made both in Flintlock and Percussion.
Other over/under guns barrels in the Percussion era were not rotatable, but used two hammers, one on the right, one on the left. The flame channel for one of the barrels extended down the side of the gun from the nipple to the lower barrel.

Although they existed, most of the rifled guns were not very popular in the U.S. because of the extra weight of the second barrel.

Currently, I know of only one double barrel rifle commercially made today which others have mentioned above.
In my opinion, the current lack of popularity if these double barreled rifles in the U.S. is due to their weight and the current hunting laws in many of the States.
Many States prohibit the use of muzzleloading rifles for hunting which can fire more than one shot without reloading.
Although I have heard of people carrying a double barreled rifles for hunting, they must be ready to proove to the Game Warden that one of the barrels is unloaded or be carrying the gun in one of the Centerfire Rifle hunts.

Zonie :)

CoyoteJoe said:
If you're speaking of "back-in-the-day"
Yes :) i wanted to know, did hunters in US use them in the past, apart from i.e. Hawken rifles.

Thank You all, gentlemen for information
:hatsoff:
batek

IF YOU WANT INFORMATION ON ORIGINAL DOUBLE CAP LOCK RIFLES THERE IS A BOOK "THE MUZZLE-LOADING CAP LOCK RIFLE" BY NED H. ROBERTS. NED HAS SEVERAL ILLUSTRATIONS OF ORIGINAL GUNS BY SEVERAL MAKERS AS WELL AS STORIES ABOUT HIM USING DOUBLES FOR HUNTING BEAR. THIS BOOK WAS PUBLISHED BY THE NRA AND THE EDITION I HAVE IS 1952. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO FIND ONE ON E-BAY. :v

Latest posts

Back