• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double flint on the way

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all, it is a reproduction and should be here in a few weeks. I plan on giving it a good going over in detail, with picture, on what I get. I was hoping for 12 gauge but 20 will work.

I am not sure how many here have one of these but I would be interested in hearing about them. Seems that there is a serious lack of information out there.

Hate to say it, but there's a lot of information missing in your post too.

Maker
Gauge presumably 20
Flint or percussion
Lengh of barrel
Is it choked
What uses are you planning for the gun

We can give better answers when we know more of the details.

Grenadier1758 said:
Hate to say it, but there's a lot of information missing in your post too.

Maker
Gauge presumably 20
Flint or percussion
Lengh of barrel
Is it choked
What uses are you planning for the gun

We can give better answers when we know more of the details.

I am confused. The question is who here has a double flint and if so what can you tell me about the one that you have. Photo's would also be super nice to see how it looks.

Folks are curious and interested in your new gun. We all would like the info!

I had one,(dbl flint 20)I built years ago useing the Recreating the dbl barrel shot gun book,rather easy,IF you have that book.

I used 60grs of 3f,over powder card,felt 1/2" wad,thin card,1-1/2 measure of shot and a thin card.

I'm a fair skeet shooter,21,22 range with modern gear,and I was hitting 18-20 on average with that combo. Gun sold before I could get good with it.

I cant wait to get it myself. On another note I am buying a double damascus 12 gauge next sunday, will also be posting detailed shots on that. it is percussion.

I have one, a 20 gauge made by J. T. Phillips in 1990. It has round, tapered 32" barrels, cylinder-cylinder. I've developed shot loads for small game and turkeys, round ball loads for deer and javelina, have taken rabbit, squirrel, dove and javelina without difficulty. The gun weighs 7 lb. 3 oz., has quite a bit of drop and about 1/4-inch of castoff, handles well.

file_zps73d7c991.jpg

file_zpsc5dbea65.jpg

Spence

My friend Dave Conte is making double flint's for Dan Gratner, myself and Dave. They are to be in .410. We have all the parts and when Dave recovers from a mule accident he plans to begin the building.
The wait is going to almost kill us.

Spence, I am new to the site. I love hunting with a dubble barrel hammer shotgun over my small munsterlander. I am trying to build a dubble 20ga flintlock with w.c. scott barrel 3 twist and parts from a Richards percussion parts from that gun are ramrod pipe,triger pltse,triger guard under lug,and but plate have breech plugs turned from cold rolled steel rod .750/tpi16 5/16" hole for powder chamber still need to thread barrel with 16 tpi tap then hand cut breech hocks will use manton locks.a local antique has a m1 carbine stock I might use. trying to do all this with limited tools. Hope the carving of the stock and inletting goes good as I am a master decoy carver carving for 40 t0 50 years best,Bill

Oh, sa-weet, Spence. I feel that old familiar Green Monster creeping up on me. :haha:

Neat! What Manton, by the way? There were two brothers, Joseph and John who were competitors. They always included their first name on their guns, locks and barrel.

I picked up that book a few years back and had a wild idea of buiilding a double flinter. So far I have a set of barrels waiting for a trip north. They are from a 10 breech loader...shes gonna be a tank LOL! I was hoping for a 12 but so far its all they could find in decent shape. Now if I could only muster up a lathe for doing the plugs.

I do have some pics that were sent to me awhile back. I'll try and dig them up though it might take me a few days, I need to get the garden going now that we're finally out of winter. Latest ice still on in record this year as of today!

Latest posts

Back