• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double flinter??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a couple of photos of a Manton side by side. These pictures were sent to me, sadly to say, the gun wasn't. Check out the fit on the water proof pan. All I can say is "WOW".
mant1.jpg

mant2.jpg

This is an original Manton lock that I've used to build a knock off of what I think an English sporting rifle would have looked like, using only photos for reference. This lock was built in the ? I don't know how to spell rein, reign ??? of King William. It's dated 1835, has the crown and the letter WR for William Rex and TOWER. I've never seen a modern lock that holds a candle to this one for workmanship, but it full cocks so far back that it is a bit slower than the modern ones. Note there is no outside frizzen spring.
lock 1.jpg

lock 2.jpg

And I went to bed early on account of there was nothing interesting on Dish last night...go figure. I need to get a Tevo I think :)

Lee

first lock i've seen with a safety catch. couldn't see a 1/2 notch on the inside of the lock for safety but wadoino?
the workmanship on the double is incredible. gots ta get me some pink leather for my flint jaws. that'll be as close as i ever get to it. :>)
pretty serious frizzen too- very thick. action does appear quite wide as discussed. damascus barrels are a thing of beauty arent they?

Robin, that is pretty bizzar with the breech plugs being so loooong and haveing the double step. never seen anything like that before. Also, the front of the lock mortice looks as if it was made for a caplock with a rail. You had said that you might "send it back". If it comes to that, let me know first. If it wasn't terribly expensive, I might be interested.

Cody

what problems are you thinking it has ?

I think it's two Manton's put together, the stock being older than the locks and the barrel.

If locks stock and barrels are mostly Manton then I don't care who made the breech, the work is first class.

I have to get it my local Manton expert for an opinion but I have lost his 'phone number.

my friends 16 ga dbl flinter IS quite wide by the time you get the pans et all out there. his is probably around 4"wide.

FOUR INCHES my pink honky backside - you ain't been paying attention. 'Taint but 3-1/4" across the pans with those cutaway patent breeches! Though I must admit it's still a bit of a reach to cock the left barrel.

Joel

FOUR INCHES my pink honky backside

I have a 20 gauge with non-recessed breeches which is under 3 1/2" wide. 16 bore would be a big flint double, 12 might be stretching credibility a bit :rolleyes:

I found a gun guru at yesterday's clay shoot who filled in a few blanks and gave me a very credible explanation for why someone would put two old Manton's together with such skill, when the cost of the work would seem to exceed the value of the piece. He said it is exactly the kind of thing the apprentices at shops like Holland and Holland used to do before they were let loose on the real thing :master:

FOUR INCHES my pink honky backside

I have a 20 gauge with non-recessed breeches which is under 3 1/2" wide. 16 bore would be a big flint double, 12 might be stretching credibility a bit :rolleyes:

I did a little comparison measureing between my original 20g without stepped breeches and the 12g I just finished with stepped breeches.

...............................20g......12g
outside of pans..........3 3/8.....3 1/2
front of lock mortice....2 1/4.....2 3/4
back of lock mortices.....2........2

It would appear that there is very little difference. However, 1/2" at the front of the locks is HUGE. I tappered the plugs to bring the tails of the locks in so the wrist wouldn't be too clunky looking. This, of course, pushes the front of the locks out and gives the gun a very wide appearance. I agree with Robin, 12g is just too big for a sxs flint. A 16 with Manton breeches would be the real cat's pajamas IMO. Problem is finding a suitable set of >30" 16G twist barrels
:( :(

P.S. measurements are just taken with a ruler and eyeballed so there could be a margin of error by perhaps + - 1/8"

mmm i was just thinking ??? isnt that what i said way back at the start . i just re read my post and it does seem that i was talking about the 10 gage flint being 31/2 across .
sorry about that i was talking about a 20 gage
i think a 20 or smaller would be great , a 16 maybe .
but then i have to think even a 12 would be ok becouse your not really gripping the for stock but palming it soo???

Cody you have any pics of your newly completed peice ?

cody & cowhand..... (sounds like a b western)
you are definitely NOT nice people posting stuff like those pictures in front of addicts. sort of like sneaking gin into an AA meeting!
joel:
NOW i know how you get those small group sizes when yer shooting!
at any rate- i'm in deep KAKA cuz i found a double flinter. and the little lady knows guntoys so there's no sneaky way of doing this. (ponder,ponder, mutter, mutter)
time we all had a real-time town house meeting!

"hello my name is hornhead and i shoot smooth bores"

.... and it's all joels fault!

Those pics are just a few quik pics. It was sitting in the cradle getting a tuning. When I get to it, I can take some decent photos to post if you like.
hornhead- is the double flint you have a line on an original or contemporary? what gauge?

contemporary. haven't seen it yet but when did that ever stop pavlov's dog from drooling?
12 gauge, l&r locks and triggers. unfortunately none of those beauty damascus barrels you swines have been flashing before me.
but it should wack a canada goose good, come next fall.

Latest posts

Back