• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double loads for bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took too long editing (I really shouldn't be computing this late at night).
Joel/Calgary said:
Given that the higher the velocity, the faster the rate of slowing, I'd expect that the percentage of difference in energy would be increasing somewhat downrange compared to at the muzzle.
That was for the total energy, in both percentage and absolute difference. Conversely, the energy difference for each of the double-balls compared to the single should decrease somewhat as the range increases.

Gotta get to bed,
Joel

This could be new topic but I am addint it as a tag along.

Some have reported bad target action with a 45 cal. and 1 and 48 twist.

I want to know if any of you with this problem have ever tried the double ball shooting to solve the problem and did it help?

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

Or, PRB, conical and another PRB. Or, perhaps, conical, conical, conical.

Okay admittedly this is starting to sound absurd but then half the fun of a muzzleloader is thinking up new loads for it. :grin:

I'm going to have to play around with some of these oddball loads. I've been tempted to hunt black bears with a flintlock and more lead is nice to have (then again the Colt Walker for backup isn't bad either).

I built my Uncle a flinter in .58 cal. He put a .570 ball backed by 100gr of 3F powder through both shoulders/lungs and exited at 18 yards. The Blacky dropped where it stood and flipped over a couple times, was dead in 30 seconds.

I was shooting my .60 Virginia rifle a couple days ago, decided to try a double ball load. I loaded two .595s, each patched, over 85 grains of 3F. The two balls landed 4 inches apart at 50 yards, with one cutting the top of the bull.

Joel/Calgary said:
For the four sets of single-ball vs. double-ball velocities, the individual double-ball energies were 58%, 64%, 62%, and 62% of the single ball. The total energy of the pair of balls compared to the single was 17%, 29%, 25% and 23% greater, respectively. Given that the higher the velocity, the faster the rate of slowing, I'd expect that the percentage of difference in energy would be increasing somewhat downrange compared to at the muzzle. Ain't a lot, but it is something to consider.

I remember reading about tests of how multiple hits affect the body. The results suggested that two hits have exponential effects on the nervous system, rather than just double. So, based on that study, double ball would have over four times of the effect as a single ball.

IMHO, that is a significant terminal effect for minimal effort.

God bless

Back