• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Play

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Did a little shooting this weekend. This was the best day, coyote and 7 pt. I also got a button buck and a 6 pt. The gun is my TVM 58 Early Virginia caliber with 44 inch Colerain barrel. I found out that 58 with 90 FFF goex is definitely not over kill, I shot a button buck thru both shoulders and it ran off in a ravine and traveled about 100 yds total. it bled well but ran farther than I would have thought it could. The next day I bottom of the spine shot/ pass thru the top of the opposite shoulder a 6pt and had to cut its throat with my patch knife. The deer in the picture I actually shot at twice, I shot the 7 pt on Saturday afternoon right at dusk chasing two does. I was very disappointed because it was only about 30 yds away and i barely grazed the chest leaving cut hair all over the ground. I simply did not pick a spot, he was such a large target and so close. "Aim small, miss small" never entered my mind. I was barely blowing my grunt call and the deer were looking for me moving all around my tree. He came back on Monday mornign about 7 am, 45 minutes after i shot the coyote and I got a second chance on him 10 yds from the same spot I shot him on Saturday evening. I really took a close aim on him this time. He was quartered towards me and I went thru the top of the lungs. nice exit hole but I did not find any blood, only hair at the impact area. I thought I heard him hit the ground about 100 yds from where I shot him. I was right. I found him but never picked up the blood trail. I know patched round balls dont work like conicals like the lyman great plains bullets. I have only been big game hunting with patched round balls for about 3 years now. I have taken 6 deer, a black bear and 2 coyotes now. I am learning to really bare down and make the shot count, then dont give up looking for them if you think you hit them, you probably did.

Sounds like you are having a BLAST! Nice rifle. When I hunt with a muzzleloader I always think of them as a precision system to deliver one well aimed projectile into the vitals, ie I get that modern magnumitus mentality out of my head that it can do anything from all ranges and there is a quick follow up shot ready to go.

I believe it is the attitude that you hunt with when hunting with blackpowder or bow that makes you a better hunter than the centrefire crowd. Proof is on the ground and in your photos. Well done.

Wow what a great season you are having. I recently received my 54 cal Lancaster and will be hunting with it all rifle season which starts this weekend. I can't wait to see what it will do with a patched round ball. I had trouble a couple years back with my 50 cal not going all the way through which is why I upgraded to 54 .
I ll keep you posted on my progress.
Congrats on such a great season.

Three deer and a coyote is a great weekend.
I generally go for double lung shots.
Just habit from bow hunting.
I find they will go about the same distance.

Taking a deer with a flintlock is just about the ultimate satisfaction a hunter can experience.

Although Turkey and squirrel are real close.

I guess any day in the woods with a flintlock is a good day.

PJC

T.O. Don't feel bad ..its called flock shooting ..with a little target panic mixed in! :grin:
Gotta love an action packed hunt. :thumbsup:
It happens when you least expect it. :shocked2:
Good job on the rebound!
You must have been a busy boy. 3 deer to process.
Congrats and thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:
Atta-Boy!

PJC said:
Three deer and a coyote is a great weekend. For sure!
I generally go for double lung shots.
Just habit from bow hunting.
I find they will go about the same distance. I've never bow hunted, but do recommend the double lung shot (large target) or heart shot/low lung to ensure a good blood trail. The only buck I took with my .58 was double lunged and went about 35 yards before he stopped and fell over.

Taking a deer with a flintlock is just about the ultimate satisfaction a hunter can experience. I agree!

Although Turkey and squirrel are real close. I took a longbeard in 2011 with my .58. It was satisfying, but not the same as taking a rack buck, IMO. I choose to NOT hunt squirrel since I don't eat them. A coyote with a flintlock would be OUTSTANDING.

I guess any day in the woods with a flintlock is a good day. Oh yea! I'm taking my .45 flinter this weekend for turkey in Pa. This will also be preseason scouting for Pa deer where I hunt. If the weather cooperates, I'll carry the flintlock in rifle season, but that doesn't come in until Monday after Thanksgiving.

PJC

A turkey would have made a complete TN Combo (buck, gobbler,coyote). Too bad cant shoot them with a rifle here. I just finished grinding up the last of the deer meat. I put the best deer hide in the freezer and the coyote for later projects. I saved some of the lower leg bones for knife handles and other things. A flintlock animal is very special to me. I showed the deer to a young kid (23) who was hunting the same property with his scoped inline. He said I wouldn't have wasted my powder on the coyote or carried it out if I did, and I saw that deer yesterday but passed on it because the points were too short and it was too far down the hill to drag it up. I tried to educate him on real black powder hunting and how the coyote was now a trophy to be respected and well, I was so excited to roll the buck over and see the fresh grazed mark from my miss the two days before I almost cried. I had been sitting in the tree for 2 days regretting not taking a careful aim on the deer but thankful still he wasnt mortally wounded.

T.O. said:
I tried to educate him on real black powder hunting and how the coyote was now a trophy to be respected and well, I was so excited to roll the buck over and see the fresh grazed mark from my miss the two days before I almost cried.

T.O. You are a true sportsman! :thumbsup:

One doesn't have to carry a traditional bow or firearm to see it the way you explained, but I always notice that it's quite common for the traditional crowd to feel and see it that way...not as common with the modern crowd.

Latest posts

Back