• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drama under the pigeons!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yep, I set up under some sitty trees.

Sitty trees are favoured by wood pigeon and sometimes a steady stream of birds will visit all day.

The drama was I had forgot my brass knapper rod and also only got crude self cut flints as spares :cursing:
I scared as many as got!

It don't matter, kept me busy, farmer happy in that I was keeping them off his wheat and I made smoke.....sometimes :thumbsup:

B.

Pssst, I used course powder today, only need ten yards so used the garbage up, nearly

:haha:

Deputy Dog said:
Nice shooting Brit! That tree you are standing under looks a lot like an oak. Is that what you call a Sitty? Wish our pigeons were that big, they look like groceries.......robin :wink:

Sure is an oak DD.

Any tree can be a sitty tree (be careful with the keyboard with that one) but they do like ash trees of which is next to the oak I am propping up! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent, Brits, you bagged a bunch this time. I like your pigeon hunts.

DD, I suspect Britsmoothy's sitty tree is what we would call a roost tree, where pigeons like to sit. Same with our doves, certain trees around a feeding field attract a lot of sitters. A good place to ambush them.

Spence

Britsmoothy said:
The drama was I had forgot my brass knapper rod and also only got crude self cut flints as spares :cursing:
I scared as many as got!

You almost certainly know this and have your own reasons for the brass knapper, but here's what I do:

Mount the flint, then lower it down to touch the frizzen. Hold the frizzen in place, then press on the back of the cock to force the flint against the frizzen and "knap" it that way. It works so well for me, I haven't carried a knapper in about 5 years, even with lots of shooting.

'Drama under the pigeons'....I'm so relieved the drama involved only your flints, Brit.

I figured that you had been white-washed! :haha:

Thanks for sharing, good job, Skychief :hatsoff:

So, do you eat the pigeons or just kill them?

I ask because here in the US, some people refuse to even think about eating pigeons.
A lot of people here consider them to be flying rats carrying every disease known to man and dog which may have an element of truth.

Personally, I don't share these peoples beliefs and I have no qualms about cooking and eating them.

After all, they are just another species of large dove.

For anyone considering eating pigeon, clean them like you would a dove and remember, they can be tough if they are not cooked correctly.

Pan frying in a very hot skillet for 2 or 2 1/2 minutes per side works well or, they can be slow cooked in a crock pot with mushrooms, wine and some herbs.

I do indeed cook these wood pigeons.
I don't eat what we call feral pigeons. They live on farm buildings or in the cities and eat poop!

Wood pigeons where I shoot eat all natural foods and are a clean living bird.

Most taken are ate, I make burgers and meatloaf with mine.
Thousand are shot and processed for food via game dealers here. I just shoot a few now at a time but many will shoot hundreds a day. There are millions of them.

Me a few years ago, just a couple of hours shooting, probably the last time I shot that many in one session. My best was about 160 one year a while back.

B.

Have only eaten squabs and they were tender and delicious. When young we would raid the pigeon nests that were located on the undersides of bridges. Had to be aware of the maturity of the squabs....got to 'em just before they're able to fly. Maximum weight at that time. Nice shooting.....Fred

DD, I suspect Britsmoothy's sitty tree is what we would call a roost tree, where pigeons like to sit. Same with our doves, certain trees around a feeding field attract a lot of sitters. A good place to ambush them.

Spence

Spence, That went completely over my head. I don't know why I didn't associate a sitty tree to a roost tree, but I can be dense at times, LOL........robin :doh:

Deputy Dog said:
I don't know why I didn't associate a sitty tree to a roost tree, but I can be dense at times, LOL........robin :doh:
It's not you, DD, it's the English. As they say, we are two people separated by a common language. I was just looking up one of their strange usages... they call a billboard a hoarding. An elevator is a lift, knickers are underwear, not knee britches worn by golfers... there are a million of them! :haha:

Spence

Back