• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Draw filing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the info, got one coming from Amazon , gonna put a comfortable piece of antler on it for a handle

Ones I use are single cut reaper files, and they work very well.
It seems some spend days or weeks at it but do not know how. A perfectly fine finish can be achieved in short order.
When I made a barrel and put the flats on by hand, it took about 20 minutes per flat, then a bit longer than that to draw file each flat down true.

All the best,
Rich.

I’d rather have 1 -$20 Nicholson file than 4-$5 Chinese.
Also, get one 8 or even better a 10” long file so you can grip with the palm of your hands on each side of the barrel.
Good luck - it’s not hard.
nicholson maybe were good at one time now that are not. if you want to polish metal use a nicholson. I bought a cheap Chinese set and they are so sharp they ruin the metal if pressed to hard

From reading this thread, I probably filed mine wrong. I started with long files, probably 20" and filed lengthwise. Once the flats were straight and flat, I went with smaller finer files, then to sandpaper.

Thanks for all the info, I have read through a lot using the search, just couldn’t find anything on the type of file. Can I get it at harbor freight or is it something I should get a name brand of.
I would check with Dixie Gun Works. Their last catalog showed several files.

I know some will cringe but I lay the file flat lengthwise from front to back and file the flats it works for me and I can do a flat in a short time because I use the full length of the file with each pass and the corners are sharp

Latest posts

Back