• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drawing Salve

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc623

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't know where to put this for sure - so.
Does anyone have a recpie/formula for a good old time
drawing salve?
::

I have used a bread and milk pultis.
Simple to make .
Take a slice of bread and dampen in milk. Apply to infected area and wrap with guaze. works well to draw the infection out of a wound.

Woody

drawing salve?

Yep, its one of the best drawing salves on the planet too...

First, get some water...

Second, get some dirt...

Third, mix them together...

Ta-daaa, drawing salve...

Mud is one of the best, it will pull bee poison, quells poison ivy, oak and sumac...

Never tried it on snake bites, but I have on spider bites, it works!!!

We use Plantain leaves coated with Bear lard. works well.
for burns we use decoction of Yarrow Root on a rag. Never had a burn blister with it.

We used to get "treated" with a black goo called "Ichtyhol Ointment" if we had a puncture wound, as it was supposed to draw any infection out. I suspect it was some kind of petroleum jelly and cod-liver oil plus God knows what. Looked like tar, smelled like squid vomit. I never died of tetnus, so maybe it helped. It sure smelled foul.

Grandma was also big on mustard plasters for any cough. I never grew any hair on my chest until I was 25. Too much scar tissue. :shocking:

A peice of fatty bacon rind if you want to draw it more dip it in flour also fells naphta soap is good scrap some off the barto a make paste. the soap is also good for poison ivy it is a laundry soap Dilly

Grandma was also big on mustard plasters for any cough. I never grew any hair on my chest until I was 25. Too much scar tissue. :shocking:

Our grandmothers must have attended the same medical school. Lord, yes, I do remember the mustard plasters. My grandmother also had one from cooked onions, and I don't know what else. Smelled so bad that even the dog wouldn't come near me.

God I remember mustard plaster wow did it stink. Folk medicine was big in my family nearest doctor was 30 miles away. Chopped onions with suger to draw out the juice use it for cough. Yellow birch sap for burns (this really works by the way.)still use it. Does anyone remember Methiolate that orange stuff you put on cuts stung like hell. :cry:

Does anyone remember Methiolate that orange stuff you put on cuts stung like hell.

My Dad swore by good 'ol Iodine. If it didn't have that skull & crossbones on the bottle it wasn't good enough. :shocking: Little glass applicator to contaminate the whole bottle every time you used it. :haha:

Yep, methiolate and mercurachrome(Sp) And the Iodine with the glass applicator, and drawing salve that my grandma used. Some of the old folk remedies worked as well or better than the junk they give you today.

My Dad swore by good 'ol Iodine. Little glass applicator to contaminate the whole bottle every time you used it. :haha:

And its also good for faking the measles to get out of going to school, 'cept you have to be careful not to use too big of a dab, otherwise it'll drip...

I had the only known case of running measles... :haha:

In our house, a drawing salve was some gunk that came in a small glass jar, it generated heat..was used on boils..if the folks got impatient, the drawing was accomplished by heating a bottle in boiling water and laying the bottle on the boil...the core came out right quick. My granny's home remedies included goose grease used like Vick's...one year there was a flu epidemic and she rubbed me with goose grease, hung a camphor bag around my neck, and sewed me into a wool flannel tee shirt..it worked..I smelled so bad nobody came near enough to infect me! In Spring, our blood got "cleansed" by a dose of Brimstone and Treacle..that is, sulphur and mollasses...
I will add that at age 5, I got a severe dog bite, took a walnut sized chunk out of my leg...the emergency room doc cauterized the wound....Hank

The best commercial stuff I ever used was called "Osmopak" but haven't found it in the states for 25 years or more. I've heard it's still available in Canada so maybe we should ask some of our M/L crowd up there. It really worked ... much better than anything I've found since.

My daughter, after being married into a family for 25 years was finally given a "Secret" family recipe of her husbands family. If I can get it I'll post it on here.

My Grandmother had some kind of salve, not sure, but I think it was a Watkins Salve. Was sort of a sickly purpleish brown in color. When I was a kid, I was trying to catch one of those large brown grasshoppers, the kind that when they flew the inside of thier wings was a black color... At any rate, I had this glass jar, the grasshopper was on a rock and I leaped on the grasshopper. Needless to say the jar broke and part of it ended up in my palm. Wound up with about a 3 inch cut and dang near down to the bone. All Granny did was smear that salve of hers on a gauze pad and bandaged me up. No stitches or anything like that. Healed just fine. Man, I would love to get some of that today just to have handy in case...

My Mother was into oils when we were little. Her secret weapon for wounds was raw linseed oil, soak a pad, apply it to would, wrap it up. For other things there was Cod Liver Oil and Caster oil. Dad used to burn Sulfur on the coal stove during Cold epidemics.

Flatlander

Somewhere buried in my library is a book my first pediatrician a Dr Jarvis- 'Folk Medicine'. I think it may still be in print.

I remember some salve my mother made for burns- bright yellow, stunk worse than granddad's limurger & onion sammiches, and permanently stained anything within 3 feet of it. I lost more shirts to that cr*p than for wearing out.

That, and my grandmother's cure-all for anything from warts to pneumonia... pure, unadulterated chicken fat. Internal, external... didn't matter. Good on bread instead of butter or plastered over a festering wound, she kept a big crock in the fridge.

vic
Grateful not being raised by my dear aunt, who had a strong, almost religious, belief in the healing and palliative powers of the High Colonic.

ya,all fergot maggotts, I here there supposed to eat the infection,

eww yucky capn bragg
BB :p

This is one my great grand dad came up with, when he was a veterinary. Good for man or beast.

Dicks' Salve
1 Lb. mutton tallow
1/2 pint sweet (olive) oil
Pine rosin - size of large egg.

Cook until smoking good. Take from stove, and add while stirring,

1/2 pint turpentine
1 oz. carbolic acid (formalin)

Stir until all ingredients are well mixed.

This should be used heated to liquid. Immerse clean white bandage, apply to wound and secure to wound as hot as is bearable, for 24 hours. On serious infection, can be used constantly changing bandage, as salve cools completely.

This is good stuff, and works well for drawing. I recall an old neighbor telling me about great grand dad saving his life with this concoction. A saw mill blade had broken loose, severing his leg into the bone. They were far from any hospital, so he was being tended to at home by the old country doctor. Gangrene had set in, and the doctor had given up. Great grand dad showed up, and began applying the salve. Saved the leg, and the life. The old guy showed me the scar when I was a kid, and I also knew the doctor, R.G. Litzenburg, who confirmed the story.

drawing salve?

Yep, its one of the best drawing salves on the planet too...

First, get some water...

Second, get some dirt...

Third, mix them together...

Ta-daaa, drawing salve...

Mud is one of the best, it will pull bee poison, quells poison ivy, oak and sumac...

Never tried it on snake bites, but I have on spider bites, it works!!!

Any kinda mud will do? Or does it have to be a specific cornfield type of mud? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Rick
That sounds alot like the old Raliegh Salve we use to have when were kids.
It came in a can and it said right on the can fit for Man or Beast.
You could smell the turpintine and later on while logging I had a wicker on a cable choaker go all the way through my hand. It sweeled up so bad I couldn't move my fingers.
A old time logger told me pop the scab off and hold a can of turpintine on it till i couldn't stand the burning any longer. I did and with in 2 days I could use my hand and returned to work.But that salve sure was some great stuff and wish I knew who sold Raleigh Products or if they even are around any more.

Woody

Back