• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drilling The Vent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFromON

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a replica British Land Pattern Cavalry pistol:
[url] http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol6.htm[/url]

It comes with no vent hole to make it easier to sell and ship so now I want to drill one. I thought it would be pretty straightforward ... just drill a 1/16" hole in the appropriate spot. After snapping 4 bits I decided to take out the breech plug and see What? was going on. The metal around the breech is probably 3/16" thick. How do people drill this hole? I must be overlooking something because I have drilled all kinds of holes in all sorts of metal and I have never had such trouble before. I realize a vent liner would improve ignition etc. but I was hoping to just drill the hole then go over to my friend's bush lot and blow some sh*t away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using a drill press, or a hand drill. Breaking 1/6" bits is pretty easy using a hand drill, even with a press, you need to go slow, and it helps to have what you are drilling locked down in place. You may consider a 5/64" hole, the bit is a little stronger, and with a straight hole and no liner, you will get better ignition.

as an inveterate tinkerer and fixer of things unbroken, i would urge you to 'do a proper job of it;' that is, to install a touch hole liner. i don't know the dimensions of the originals, but it's asking a lot of the flash to go through a fairly small hole that's 3/8 inch long and reliably fire your main charge.

good luck!

msw

He said 3/16th, not 3/8". With a 5/64th hole, he should have no problems. I don't think he is set up for installing a vent liner.

As was mentioned, you would have better luck with a 5/64 diameter drill. Try to get one made out of Cobalt High Speed steel and apply some mineral oil to it.
These little bits dull up fairly easily so don't use old drill bits.

Most importantly, go slow. This is a tiny drill making a hole over three times deeper than it is in diameter.
It is a good idea to pull it out of the hole often to clear the chips and apply a little more oil to its tip.

Given enough time (and drill bits) you should be able to drill thru the wall.
Good Luck!

Zonie :)

I will try going slower and using the 5/64" bit. Gotta pick up a 4-pack of bits at the hardware store tomorrow. Thanks guys :hatsoff:

Do you chuck short your drills? I have, and have had better luck doing that. Also, I use TapMagik brand for steel for a cutting fluid, works great. I like it because it cools better at the cutting edge.

The 5/64 dia. drill is a sound suggestion if a TH liner isn't used. A lot of small dia. drill bits are broken because of insufficient speed and too much applied force. Many drill presses and hole shooters don't have high enough speeds for the smaller dia. drill bits. I run a HS 1/16 dia. drill bit in the 1200- 1500 rpm range and never have any trouble. A little machine oil also helps. Am presently looking at 9.6 amp cordless hole shooters and all so far are way too slow for the smaller drill bits.....Fred

I am running my drill press at 3150 rpm and I am using 3-in-1 oil for cutting fluid. I didn't press down as hard today but I still snapped a bit. Oh well. I am about 70% of the way through and I just went to town and got an 8-pack of 5/64" hi-speed steel bits for $1.79, so I expect to be shooting by sundown tomorrow :thumbsup:

It's going to be one raggedy looking vent :redface:

Sounds like you may be running into other bits of drill left over from the previous break.???
Craig

3150 is too fast a speed.....w/ a new drill bit come down and try to drill and then look at the bit....it's probably worn either from the excessive speed or possibly the barrel is made from fairly hard steel or both.....Fred

Oh yeah, there are definitely bits of other bits stuck in the hole. Most of them are out now. I thought 3150 rpm was very fast too but that's what the chart on my drill said to use. I will back it off to 2000 or thereabouts when I go out and try again tomorrow. I think going to a slightly larger bit really helped. Thanks for all your help, guys!

Back