• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch Wheellock Breech Area Detail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In a discussion yesterday, I was asked why I did not have the fence on my wheel lock against the breech area of the wooden stock as that was the "proper" location. I offer these 3 photos of original Dutch built wheellocks to explain the method of my madness. You be the judge. Cheers, Bookie
BreechArea1.jpg
BreechArea2.jpg
BreechArea3.jpg

There are enough early guns with the fence just were yours is. Ask your pal to which period he refers to and watch him sweat.

On most later guns (flintlock) the fence actually is flush to the breech. I guess the gunsmith either used a shorter breechplug than we do today, or recessed the side of the breech to move the touch hole back from the breech plug face.

Back