• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early birds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I lived in Canada I couldn't figure what all the fuss was about dove hunting. We had some up there but they are few and far between. No season or anything....just another wild bird. When I moved to Texas I soon found out. Never had so much fun shooting birds. They fly like little drunk fighter pilots. However eating them is an art in inself. Seems like all the recipes I've tasted and cooked myself all have one thing in common, you have to go to a lot of trouble to disguise the dove itself. BBQ'd, grilled or deep fried they're all wrapped or soaked in something (bacon, onion, cheese, jalepenos, milk, dressing etc.) to disguise the taste. Seems to me most of the concoctions used might taste better if you left the dove out all together, in fact I have a friend who says cooking dove is just a waste of good bacon. :hmm:

I had a good day yesterday hunting doves. My son and daughter were with me in the morning and we got into a bunch of birds. All got our limits in about an hour and a half. Only fired my 10ga ML four times but killed 2 doves with it.

All of my family like the taste of doves. The missus cooks em a couple different ways. Guess it depends of what yer used to. GW

The trick to cooking doves so that they don't have the liver taste is not to over cook them. Slightly braise until just browned on the outside in the same pot you are going to cook your onion, peppers, or whatever else in and remove and set aside. Cook your other ingredients until about 3-4 minutes remain then put your doves back in. The birds should have just the slightest pink tint. If they turn gray on the inside they have cooked too long and will have a liver taste like about the same as all-dark meat birds. I like liver so it doesn't distress me terribly but I do know a lot of folks abhor the taste of liver.

blue grouse yesterday w/ my son and our dog. he got birdy a couple of times, all we could find is some feathers and droppings, no birds.
next weekend we'll go after doves.

Soak the breasts in water with a dash of salt in it for a couple of hours, to pull out the blood. Its the strong taste of blood that we are no longer used to eating because we buy our meat in a package most of the time. And its the bloody taste that reminds you of liver.

I also pull off any sinew or other white tissue from around the breasts, before cooking. The white tissue lakes the meat tough, and also contains enzymes that makes the meat bitter.

You can soak the breasts in milk over night- sour, or butter, milk if that is your cup of tea- and that will also draw out the blood and sweeten the flavor of the meat.

Never hesitate to pour a bit of wine in the pan when its cooking, to add to the flavors. The alcohol burns off, but the sweet taste of the wine will remain.

I find the biggest mistake people make in cooking wild game is how its treated by them from the kill to the kitchen, and then not removing the blood and white tissues from the meat before cooking. Even deer that feed on corn and soybeans so much they actually taste like good beef cannot be cooked the same as beef from cattle fed in a feedlot for several weeks before slaughter. Cattle don't have those enzymes in their fatty tissue, where as wild game does. The same with domestic pigs, vs. Wild boar, or domestic chickens vs. pheasants or other birds., domestic turkeys vs wild turkeys. Once I learned these secrets, My ability to "wow" folks with wild game I prepared went way up!

Oh, I was forced to learn what to do, first by a very opinionated Mother-in-law, and then after I shot a wild boar, and the owner of the preserve drove around in his truck with the hogs in the back of the bed for about 4 hours in the middle day heat over a Labor Day hunt. He was suppose to take them into town for us, to a butcher shop that would skin and process the meat for us, but instead he drove around visiting friends and having a couple of drinks before coming back to see if we needed anything.

Trust me, you could smell that truck coming! The packing plant used saws to cut up the pigs, wrapped and quick froze the stuff, and had it ready when we left town the next morning.

When I unwrapped the first couple of " chops" they were covered in dried blood, and bones chips( bringing bacteria to the meat), from the saw, and all the bones, and fat, and gristle, and sinew was still on. The chops were inedible, as well as tough as boot leather!

I had 80 more pounds of pig in my freezer, so I decided to see what I could do to salvage the rest of it. Whenever I thawed out some of the meat, I warmed it in the sink in water, washing off the chips of bone, sawdust, and lord knows what. I used salt to draw out the blood. I change the water several times. I also cut away the meat from the bones, and removed all the fat and gristle and sinew from the edges of the meat. After a couple of hours soaking in salt water, I would soak the meat in fresh water to remove the salt, taking with it much of the smell, I am happy to report.

Then flour, season, and sear the meat in hot oil, and bake the meat at a low temperature until medium rare. I bake in a roasting pan, with water under the meat, and foil on top to make a moist chamber to keep the meat moist and tender. Or, I have simply put the meat in foil, added butter, onions, bell pepper, apple slices, and/or wine, to cook the package in that fashion. Works great at a campfire.

I hope this gives you ideas you never tried, and will help you enjoy your hunt many times over as you enjoy eating the wild game you harvested.

Mountainman56 said:
Seems to me most of the concoctions used might taste better if you left the dove out all together, in fact I have a friend who says cooking dove is just a waste of good bacon.
My sentiments exactly...first time I tried any I couldn't get past the purple color.
And to be honest, other than the rare chance for some quail if its offered, I haven't bothered with any wild game in a couple decades...shrink-wrapped t-bones are hard to beat! :grin:

Paul is correct about handling game. Most of the reason people don't like game is because it was not butchered correctly.Then to compound matters they hand it to someone to cook who never messed with wild meat. Still, dove is a challenge. Leave it a little pink is the best way. Duck is about as bad.

I grew up at the end of the road in the boonies of Saskatchewan and spent a lot of my youth hunting to put meat on the table. I've learned many many ways to make all kinds of wild meat palatable. I'm not saying I won't eat dove, just that I prefer to take somebody hunting who likes it more than I do. I like to save my small freezer space for venison, turkey and quail these days. :2

We only have two weekends for dove hunting here -- this and next. noon to sunset. hardly worth the expense and trouble (did i really say that???)
:shake:

Damn, guess our Ocean State birds just taste better than the rest lol. This was a meal we looked forward to every Sept/Oct here.

Swamp Rat said:
Damn, guess our Ocean State birds just taste better than the rest lol. This was a meal we looked forward to every Sept/Oct here.

Maybe yer onta something here, SwampRat. I told my wife about people using bacon etc to hide the taste and she asked "why?"

Ate some birds at noon on opening day. Gonna eat some more manana. :grin: GW

Thanks Bob, I may wear something else next week, could have been the outfit that scared the birds, people sure do a double take when I stop for gas or stop by the store on the way home. you'd think they never seen a beard before :shocked2:

Well today was a little better than last weekend, I found half a three pt. shed, that is good enough for a nice knife handle and a few other goodies, no birds and the squirrels were out of birdshot range, high in the firs above the oak and maple chattering and yakking it up...I think they were talking about me and it wasn't good, tomorrow I am going to be there at daybreak and see if I can catch them half awake

P9060044.jpg

After tropical storm Hanna dumped 4" rain on us and cleared on out through our area by noon, I figured the doves would be pouring into the fields since they were probably holed up the past 24 hours...figured wrong...saw an occasional single a couple hundred yards away...nothing else, no other hunters, etc...I guess one nice thing about Flintlock dove hunting is when you take no shots there's no ML to clean. :grin:

I think I'll start going to the trap & skeet ranges instead...at least I know there'll be targets flying and I'll get some shooting done
:grin:

The doves come to a field for two reasons, that I know: one to dust themselves. A field of wheat stubble that has been burned so that that the dirt is exposed, and mixed with ash, and a few wheat seed that survived the fire makes a great place to find Dove. And Two, is Sunflower seeds. If a field has been planted with sunflower, and some of those have been knocked down and disked under, the bird will flock in by the thousands to eat the seeds off the standing plant " heads", and they will also eat any seeds that are kicked up by flapping their wings to dust themselves in the dry dirt. Hunting after a rainstorm is usually NOT productive, even at the best of fields.

The storm may actually have forced the birds to fly inland a hundred miles or more, and they may not return. Birds you may see next week may just be flying South from New England, as cold weather pushes them down. If we get an early frost, our dove season is OVER, here in the flatlands. The birds fly all night to go South to escape the cold front as it comes in.

Yep, that's what I meant when I said they ain't on the Menu.
We're up to our armpits with em in my area. :haha:
Songbirds, bahhh. :youcrazy:

I can't believe the lack of birds, three mornings out now and I haven't seen a single Dove. :shocked2

P9070003.jpg

Back