• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

early short starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to ask, why do so many old folks get their underwear in a wad over this subject?

Seems it goes on year after year without resolve, who cares what a person uses?

Because some people insist on spreading historical misinformation & conjecture and it affects the rest of us. You know - The one bad apple in the barrel...

"Because some people insist on spreading historical misinformation & conjecture and it affects the rest of us. You know - The one bad apple in the barrel..."

How does a person define what is historical misinformation and conjecture and all agree on the definition?

I don't give a durn, if a person uses one or not, who gives a care? I think stupid arguing is what ruins the sport and runs folks off.

Richard Eames said:
"Because some people insist on spreading historical misinformation & conjecture and it affects the rest of us. You know - The one bad apple in the barrel..."

How does a person define what is historical misinformation and conjecture and all agree on the definition?

I don't give a durn, if a person uses one or not, who gives a care? I think stupid arguing is what ruins the sport and runs folks off.
If it isn't present in the historical record and isn't supported by physical and/or documented evidence, it's misinformation and conjecture.

Do you wear a wrist watch and modern glasses to shoots? Do you wear synthetic under wear to shoots?

Have a nice day.

No, no and no because I don't attend shoots (they are a waste of time). The great majority of my time is spent in the woods replicating the skills, using equipment and wearing clothes similar to those in the mid 18th century.

Attending shoots is not a waste of time. They are learning experiences. You get to learn from other folks and diversity is a value, living like a hermit has it's limits on learning.

Time to move on.

I dislike shooting at targets set at a known distance (unrealistic) and shoots are social occasions. Nor do I live like a hermit. Natural settings are much more conducive for learning, and it is amazing the breadth of knowledge that resides in a group of 5-6 well-read people.

I'm sorry the oft qouted Indians didn't have wheels just aint true. Aztec and inca and pre inca toys have been found with wheels to pull them around. Without a traction animal wheels become unimportant. Wheels in fact were not invented by civalazation but by the asian horse tribes. It got introduced to the mesopotamians,who like the aztecs didn't have an early traction animal.
Wocs after all are just a style of frying pan. It does use heat well but fuel sorces wasn't important to early americans.
When I first started ml I was a teenager with a morowy rifle. I was told at the gun store i bought it how to use a adjustable tc powder measure grese a patch with crisco and push the balldown. Second or third time I shot i decided to make a wumper.I made it from a piece of dowel and a flat round top. 2years later I found out there was clubs of ml shooters and I got to my first shoot. On the way I thought all the guys there would be impressed by my wumper. Imangen my surprise. No one had ever told me about shrt starters, Inever saw it in a book or read it in a magizine, It just seemed a natural thing to do to make it easier to load. I must be your basic girly man, but it wasn't rocket science. No super skill,no light bulb over my head. Just a dumb kid with a coping saw. Must have been smarter the Boone,Kenton and Washington. "My aint I some"

I wonder do you make an assumtion that others do not spend time in the woods trying to recreate the skills of the 18th and 19th century and still find short startes to be a part of thier equipment. I don't go to shoots ,I do try my best to recreate the past and spend a lot of time in the woods. I am dedicated to being as h/c as I can. I don't think your the only one on the high ground here,But I cant say your contention makes any sense to me. This is kind of the MM didn't use rag tinder, that we know was used in the settlements typeof argument. Since no one wrote in a letter home, "started a fire just the same way you do"

I said what I said. You can add all the subtext you want, but they are your words/assumptions not mine. Anything I write applies to me, how you (mis)interpret it is your concern.

The only time mis information that is being spread is when some one thinks thier own research is the only research thats valid. We have little fronter written reference to powder messures and we do have reference to loading from a horn. Yet I dont see any one giving up powder mesures or loading from a horn. To live in a world where known objects are some how stopped fom moving a few weeks travel west is at best a fantsy. To tell people that useing them in front of the public is spreading misinformation is absurd and basless

I have always thought it an irony that in general, the old dead guys you folks are trying to emulate were usually keen to adopt every new advancement in technology they could, to make their life easier and safer.
For them it was about existence for re-inactors it's a hobby, some times bordering on a neurosis it seems. MD

I also have to ask then, what was your point that you were trying to make. The most of us on here are reenactors. Heres one....I wrap my flints in brain taned moose skin.... I don't know what that has to do with short startes however

I really don't have an opinion on short starters, to many more valuable historic things I still want to research yet but simple things like short starters, tooth picks and butt wiping material haven't made it to the top of the list yet, I have not read on the subject but I imagine people did pick food out between their teeth and wipe their butt every once in awhile even all the way back in the 18th century
I do have a short starter and have used it, I can also load any of my rifles without it.
As for using only written or drawn documentation from the period you reasearch I figure I can throw out a stupid comparison like the one about the wok just in reverse order.
I have seen ancient cave paintings in person but nowhere else on earth have I ever seen an entirely blue colored person unless you count the blue man group, does this mean they are an "HC" impression of ancient people?
Never saw any of them red or blue deer those paintings showed being hunted either come to think of it

I wish I could decipher exactly what your point might be.

Oftentimes the point you might be trying to make is lost in a morass of unrelated information, serving only to confuse the issue(s) rather than clarify.

I guess that a short starter would be an advancement in technology and make their life with a muzzle loader easier.
Course tapered muzzles where used quite a bit back in the day minimizing the need of a short starter. MD

My point exactly, just wanted mine to fit the nonsense of the majority of other post, mainly copied ur style...

Back