• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

early short starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would be you who would be doing the decieving, just in this thread its been shown they existed at least to 1808 and likely to as early as the begging of the 18th century. Unless you can come up with a reason why tons of stuff flowed out of westren europe into america,except that.If we take the oft quoted population of america on the eve of the revolution as 2,000,000, and we alow .5% to be on the frontier. thats 10,000people,3-4000 adult males. How many frotier loading letters do we have from that time?thats notcounting the amount of men not all the way on the frontier who didn't write down loading. Not to mention we don't know what they would call a starter. And as referenced in audobons description of loading most of the juicy facts are missing.
I'm glad you can load with out one,I find in a pain to do. I also find commercial wads a pain to use so I dont use them or 19th cent cappers on my precusin rifles.What you use is your bussiness, but dont presume that your reserch or you dedication to histoic accuracy is greater then mine.

Zonie said:
No one has found any documentation supporting the use of a short starter in America prior to the 20th century.
And that is the point some of us are trying to make, while others keep saying that because documentation exists for another continent, they must have been used here too.

A couple personal comments:

1. I don't use one, because I find it unnecessary.

2. I don't care if someone else uses one, it's none of my business.

3. No documentation has been produced that shows they were used in North America prior to the 20th century.

4. I don't care one way or the other if they were used in North America prior to the 20th century.

5. If documentation is found to show they were used in North America prior to the 20th century, that will not change 1, 2 and 3, but it will end the debate for those who do care.

Claude said:
5. If documentation is found to show they were used in North America prior to the 20th century, that will not change 1, 2 and 3, but it will end the debate for those who do care.
I can see you are a very optimistic person, Claude. And very naive. :haha:

Spence

Been following this here thread for awhile now and figure it's time to settle it once and for all! Seeing as how we here in the good old USA were such DIY individuals, it's only natural to ASS-U-ME that we came up with the first designed short starter and that others must have copied ours! :doh: Short starters were used after the first gunsmith put rifleling into a barrel and found out a tight patch needed to be used to get her to group well! :slap: As uncle Si would say....thats a fact jack! :blah:

Kodiak13 said:
Been following this here thread for awhile now and figure it's time to settle it once and for all! Seeing as how we here in the good old USA were such DIY individuals, it's only natural to ASS-U-ME that we came up with the first designed short starter and that others must have copied ours! :doh: Short starters were used after the first gunsmith put rifleling into a barrel and found out a tight patch needed to be used to get her to group well! :slap: As uncle Si would say....thats a fact jack! :blah:
That's as good a made up story as any. :applause: :wink:

Okay, so let me understand your position. There is documented evidence of short starters being used in England, France and Germany and further evidence that at least some of the military units used short starters or mallets. May be more but I don't know about them. Many of those same armies were posted and fought in the Americas.

Almost all immigrants of the day were from one of those three countries, and much of the early rifle designs were based and evolved from German and English rifle designs. Almost all of the technology built into the first American built guns originated from Europe, and the smiths were of European descent. The technology and designs further evolved over the years, in America.

Despite everything else that was copied, used, understood and built on, the mallet/short starter was the only gun technology that never made it to North America because there is no document to prove it did.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. :doh: Das Short Starter Ist Verbotten you panty waisted girlie men who can't load without one. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Quote from Spence 10 responding to Tenfingers

Since I've been in this goofy game there has been a sort of unwritten agreement by the serious among us that we will assume it never happened if we can't find it documented, even when we know damned well it did. That still leaves a wide opportunity to study their ways, experience them for ourselves and have a lot of fun doing it. It has certainly worked for me, even though I've been doing it solo for many years.

Sorry spud but that is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever read. I know it happened, saw it happen but it isn't written down so therefore it didn't happen. Yowser palusa. You HC/PC guys really do operate by your own arcane set of rules. The entire 2000 year old verbal history of the North American Indians and Eskimos never happened based on your interpretation of history. :doh: :doh:

Dean2 said:
Despite everything else that was copied, used, understood and built on, the mallet/short starter was the only gun technology that never made it to North America because there is no document to prove it did.
I don't mean to speak for Black Hand, but I'll comment... I think this is where the misinterpretation of what some people are saying happens.

You actually make the point others are trying to get across. To use your own words. Yes, Despite everything else that was copied, used, understood and built on, there is no document to prove it was used in a particular time and place.

Yes, it seems likely that they were used, but so far there's no documentation. That's all people are saying. Lack of documentation doesn't prove it wasn't used, but for some folks, they need documentation to prove it was - for their needs.

Some chose to use them, because they believe they had to have been used, and they require no documented proof. Others chose not to use them, because they require more than speculation for their persona.

The problem comes when one side tries to convince the other that they are right/wrong.

Apologies Should have been Spence 10 responding to Tengun not tenfingers.

Claude said:
Dean2 said:

You actually make the point others are trying to get across. To use your own words. Yes, Despite everything else that was copied, used, understood and built on, there is no document to prove it was used in a particular time and place.

Yes, it seems likely that they were used, but so far there's no documentation. That's all people are saying. Lack of documentation doesn't prove it wasn't used, but for some folks, they need documentation to prove it was - for their needs.

Some chose to use them, because they believe they had to have been used, and they require no documented proof. Others chose not to use them, because they require more than speculation for their persona.

The problem comes when one side tries to convince the other that they are right/wrong.

Now that part I have italicized and put in red makes absolute perfect sense. If the argument stuck to that I would say I have no problem what so ever with the discussion.

Claude I would have no problem with any one who said "I have found no documentation that makes me tink they were use here,so i don't use them" I do however have a problem of those who say that my use of them in an histoic setting is a misrepresentation of history.Or that i have a poor understanding of documentation in an histoc sense. Or that any argument is wishful thinking and that a well thought out opiion is worthless...As in "that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at starbucks". The past is murky we move in a fog,our guid post are scant and we have to depend on or inturpatation of what the evedince tells us. A well thought out postion is not foolish and one inturp is as good, as valuble and praisworthy as another.Till we get a time machine we will neverknow for sure. In the mean time accept that those who see and display the past are tryng thier leavle best to do it as acuratly as they can.

If I'm not mistaken, after a civil war battle, didn't Ned Robert's uncle Alvaro pick up a short starter [and other things] with the small bore muzzleloader that he eventually gave to Ned?

The problem with Dean2's argument is that it proves the point he wishes to disprove...,

"There is documented evidence of short starters being used in England, France and Germany and further evidence that at least some of the military units used short starters or mallets. May be more but I don't know about them. Many of those same armies were posted and fought in the Americas.

Almost all immigrants of the day were from one of those three countries, and much of the early rifle designs were based and evolved from German and English rifle designs. Almost all of the technology built into the first American built guns originated from Europe, and the smiths were of European descent. The technology and designs further evolved over the years, in America.

Despite everything else that was copied, used, understood and built on, the mallet/short starter was the only gun technology that never made it to North America because there is no document to prove it did."

That's RIGHT..., there is no documentation here, but so much over there..., why not here too? It's very very odd that there is ZERO evidence of the use of the short starter here. With all of the other evidence from other locations, evidence of short starters should be here too. There is no reason the short-starter would be present and documented in other parts of the globe, and be equally present but not documented in North America in the 18th century. Ah well, it must've been here too, as common sense tells us it was.

Does it?

For more than a century, very learned people, people with PhD's, people who spent their lives studying how civilizations begin and rise, all concluded that to have civilization a group of people must have the wheel. This was accepted as fact, as everywhere civilization was found, so was the wheel. This was especially necessary if the civilization included permanent, large cities. For folks to build a permanent city they had to invent the wheel, or have it introduced by another culture. It was common sense.

Then an odd thing happened. Civilization was found in the Americas..., but no wheels. The wheel must be there, so just keep looking, we know it must be there, was the mantra. They found the ancient people even had round disks with holes in the center for jewelry, for this was seen in the artwork and in burials. So the idea of a round circle with a hole in the center was present, and that is the same idea for a wheel, so the ancient people had to have had them...., but they didn't. After many decades it was finally understood..., "common sense" was disproved, and now the question is why didn't they develope the wheel, and how did they accomplish such great tasks without it?

The basis for the beginning of this argument is: As short starters are necessary to loading a rifle, they must have had them. Which is followed by: " As they are mentioned in other parts of the world, and as these parts of the world had contact with the 13 colonies in the 18th century, that's proof they had them in the 13 colonies in the 18th century".

Well the premise is faulty.

A priori: I have a long rifle. I once used a short starter for loading, for that was how I was taught to load, but one day at a woods walk style match I found that I had dropped the short starter along the trail. I didn't stop to whittle myself a new one, and I couldn't borrow one. Instead, I started using the butt of my patch knife to seat the ball at the muzzle. It was simpler, and quicker, and I haven't used a short starter since. That was 20 years ago, and I haven't broken a ramrod since then either. Ergo, the short starter is not necessary.

Add to that the fact that many of the rifles currently identified as coming from the 18th century are coned at the muzzle, and you have a reason why short starters might not have been commonly used here. Now we have no way of knowing if the majority of rifles made were coned, or not coned..., we have so very surviving examples.

For another example, try this test of the hypothesis. IF the premise used is correct, it MUST apply to other items...

Based on the arguments for they must have had them:

They had steel in the 18th century in the 13 colonies,
They had blacksmiths in the 18th century in the 13 colonies,
They knew about frying food in frying pans in the 18th century in the 13 colonies,
They had charcoal in the 18th century in the 13 colonies, and they used charcoal in brazers,
England established regular trade with China in the 1670's,
After the AWI the United States established it's own outpost in China in 1783, to maintain the previous China trade,
The Chinese Wok is a simple disk, hammered into a concave shape,
A Wok is a good idea, as it uses charcoal it's efficient, and stir fry from a wok is very nutritious,

Ergo, the colonials must have had woks, and made stir fry meals, even though there is nothing mentioned in any of the cook books, nor advertisements in newspapers, nor are they mentioned in journals or in probate records, nor in store inventories, and no woks have ever been unearthed..., but they could've had the local smith knock one up. After all..., the Colonials had ladles, which are a tiny version of the shape of a wok, so yes they must've had them. It's common sense. How could such a nifty, nuritious, efficient, simple item not be present in the 13 colonies, after a century of contact with China? It's foolish to suggest that with all those ships, and all those sailors, and all that time, that nobody brought the wok to the 13 colonies, and it didn't catch on. I can't prove they didn't, and neither can anybody else.

So it should be perfectly acceptable to serve Szechuan Pork at the next 18th century history event, cook it in a wok in front of the tourists, and to tell them it's authentic, colonial American cuizine. Nobody can prove it isn't.

:idunno:

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
The problem with Dean2's argument is that it proves the point he wishes to disprove...,

For another example, try this test of the hypothesis. IF the premise used is correct, it MUST apply to other items...

Based on the arguments for they must have had them:

They had steel in the 18th century in the 13 colonies,
They had blacksmiths in the 18th century in the 13 colonies,
They knew about frying food in frying pans in the 18th century in the 13 colonies,
They had charcoal in the 18th century in the 13 colonies, and they used charcoal in brazers,
England established regular trade with China in the 1670's,
After the AWI the United States established it's own outpost in China in 1783, to maintain the previous China trade,
The Chinese Wok is a simple disk, hammered into a concave shape,
A Wok is a good idea, as it uses charcoal it's efficient, and stir fry from a wok is very nutritious,

Ergo, the colonials must have had woks, and made stir fry meals, even though there is nothing mentioned in any of the cook books, nor advertisements in newspapers, nor are they mentioned in journals or in probate records, nor in store inventories, and no woks have ever been unearthed..., but they could've had the local smith knock one up. After all..., the Colonials had ladles, which are a tiny version of the shape of a wok, so yes they must've had them. It's common sense. How could such a nifty, nuritious, efficient, simple item not be present in the 13 colonies, after a century of contact with China? It's foolish to suggest that with all those ships, and all those sailors, and all that time, that nobody brought the wok to the 13 colonies, and it didn't catch on. I can't prove they didn't, and neither can anybody else.

So it should be perfectly acceptable to serve Szechuan Pork at the next 18th century history event, cook it in a wok in front of the tourists, and to tell them it's authentic, colonial American cuizine. Nobody can prove it isn't.

:idunno:

LD

Interesting choice of examples. It is well known and documented that the first Chinese in the U.S, started showing up in the 1850s. It is also known that they brought there own cooking utensils and prepared food in the traditional way while living here. Despite this there is NO documented proof of woks in the U.S., even among the Chinese during that time. The immigration manifests of the time mention cooking utensils but no actual reference to woks. The woks were of cast iron and there is archaeological proof of finding parts of four woks. There is ample documented evidence during this period of the woks continued use in China but no documented proof in the Americas. I refer you to the book "The Breath of a Wok: Unlocking the Spirit of Chinese Wok Cooking".

Thr Breadth of the Wok

I repeat my earlier assertion, the lack of documented evidence neither proves something existed or did not exist. The verbal history of many tribes, along with your own cited wok example clearly prove that not everything was written down, then or now.

By George I think he hasn't got it after all. :hmm:

Howdy!

My short starter is the first 5" of my wiping stick.

;) :)

Seriously, we are dealing with different levels of research and mindsets here, compiled with different levels of the hobby. We will likely not be changing anyone's minds over it either.
A few basic steps to document something.
Did IT exist?
Was IT common?
Was IT here (wherever your persona resides)?
Was IT in my persona's possession?

Samuel Brady had a blue capote, documented as having such. No one disputes it. But, it almost got him and his company killed! Should everyone (with like persona's) run around with blue capotes? No, because it was not common, did not prove to work for his persona, and he stopped wearing it.

Dean2 said:
I repeat my earlier assertion, the lack of documented evidence neither proves something existed or did not exist.

But lack of any physical evidence in conjunction with a lack of literary documentation, sure make a exceptionally good case. Also it is extremely difficult to prove something DID NOT exist as evidence is non-existant. However, if one asserts that something DID exist, then the burden of proof falls upon them. As of yet, NO evidence exists for the common usage of short-starters in the American colonies.

simeon said:
Howdy!

My short starter is the first 5" of my wiping stick.

;) :)

:rotf: :rotf: :applause:

LD's points are well taken, and closely reasoned, as well.

Rod

Latest posts

Back