• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Eli Whitney Musket model1812 ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyF

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I stopped in a Virginia a pawn shop.
Saw this musket and would like input on originality and ballpark value.
I found from research it started its life as a Flintlock and was converted to Percussion at some point.
They just got it in and didn’t have a price on it yet.
I attached a few pictures.
Let me know your thoughts.
Tony
IMG_5801.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5803.jpeg
    IMG_5803.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5798.jpeg
    IMG_5798.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5800.jpeg
    IMG_5800.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5805.jpeg
    IMG_5805.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5806.jpeg
    IMG_5806.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I found from research it started its life as a Flintlock and was converted to Percussion at some point.
Tony View attachment 343238
A fairly clean version of the Model 1816 musket. It survived Civil War usage without any serious damage beyond the barrel exterior being rather rough. It's a Whitney manufactured "US contract of 1822" (second contract) that was converted from flintlock to percussion using the "cone" or Belgian alteration". Most of these post-1830 Whitney locks have the later "N.HAVEN" marking as compared to the earlier "NEW HAVEN" on this gun. Some of the stampings near the breech are obliterated, but part of the "US" marking near the tip of the hammer is visible. Likewise the stock cartouche is there but worn beyond legibility. I hesitate to give a price estimate but in this shape, I've seen them sell from $700 up to a $1000

A fairly clean version of the Model 1816 musket. It survived Civil War usage without any serious damage beyond the barrel exterior being rather rough. It's a Whitney manufactured "US contract of 1822" (second contract) that was converted from flintlock to percussion using the "cone" or Belgian alteration". Most of these post-1830 Whitney locks have the later "N.HAVEN" marking as compared to the earlier "NEW HAVEN" on this gun. Some of the stampings near the breech are obliterated, but part of the "US" marking near the tip of the hammer is visible. Likewise the stock cartouche is there but worn beyond legibility. I hesitate to give a price estimate but in this shape, I've seen them sell from $700 up to a $1000
OLUT
Thank you for the info.
Would this be considered a wall hanger or could it be brought back to life?
What precautions and inspections would be required to be able to shoot
this firearm ?
Would musket caps,and 3fff powder be sufficient , would it take a .69 caliber ball?
Thanks
Tony

OLUT
Thank you for the info.
Would this be considered a wall hanger or could it be brought back to life?
What precautions and inspections would be required to be able to shoot
this firearm ?
Would musket caps,and 3fff powder be sufficient , would it take a .69 caliber ball?
Thanks
Tony
Other more qualified shooters than me can give you much better info, but I used .680 soft lead balls about 70 grains of ffg black powder, and winged musket caps. Bore size can vary but in my 1816 musket the .68 ball fit snugly and I merely put a wad of paper over it to keep things in place. But fffg black powder will work as well (typically with a bit less powder required). Keep the powder charge moderate in these old guns if you shoot them. Based on the replacement nipple on the gun, I bet that it was shot by the previous owner. If you are not able to inspect the gun, please find a QUALIFIED gunsmith to check it out

Tony View attachment 343238
Beautiful lock-plate! Originally flint converted in history to percussion. Let us know if you get it!

Other more qualified shooters than me can give you much better info, but I used .680 soft lead balls about 70 grains of ffg black powder, and winged musket caps. Bore size can vary but in my 1816 musket the .68 ball fit snugly and I merely put a wad of paper over it to keep things in place. But fffg black powder will work as well (typically with a bit less powder required). Keep the powder charge moderate in these old guns if you shoot them. Based on the replacement nipple on the gun, I bet that it was shot by the previous owner. If you are not able to inspect the gun, please find a QUALIFIED gunsmith to check it out
That's a 'replacement' nipple? Looks aged in the photo. Moderation is important on the oldsters!

I really appreciate the helpful feedback
I left my number with the pawnshop guy so I’m going to wait a few days and see if he gets back.
If not I’ll stop in next week and make an offer.
Hopefully it will still be there!

I really appreciate the helpful feedback
I left my number with the pawnshop guy so I’m going to wait a few days and see if he gets back.
If not I’ll stop in next week and make an offer.
Hopefully it will still be there!
More pics,

Attachments

• IMG_5786.jpeg
    IMG_5786.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5787.jpeg
    IMG_5787.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5790.jpeg
    IMG_5790.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5793.jpeg
    IMG_5793.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5789.jpeg
    IMG_5789.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5785.jpeg
    IMG_5785.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Interesting,
Could they be reversed?
Here’s another picture of the other barrel band .
I’ll have to take a full length picture.

Attachments

• IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5788.jpeg
    IMG_5788.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If it's cutback, then you should offer even less. Doesn't take away from the history it might have seen, but it does effect the price.

What's the barrel length? It looks like it has been cut down. It should be 42" with 3 bands.
I'm going to go back today and measure the barrel and overall length.
im bettin the bayonet lug is missing. it was cut back. better be a real good deal.
Hopefully not, will get more info today
Yes, that's it.
Found this source for parts.
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/us_arms/(543).htm

Back