• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk with a roundball stories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, everybody is right....if the elk meat is hanging on the meat pole, whatever was used to put it there, was the correct choice. I have shot elk w/ conicals and PRBs and see no difference w/ either as far as killing an elk. Presently prefer the PRB ...not because of "killing power" but because the conicals come off the powder charge w/ a clean bbl and the trajectory of the PRB is flatter than a conical. Our "camp rifle" which is used by newcomers to our party, is a .50 using 410 gr. Buffalo Bullets and has killed a lot of elk but w/ the caveat to the user to periodically check the bullet seating. Again, I think a person should use whatever he feels confident w/ and the arguement of conical VS PRB is an exercise in futility....nobody's opinion will be changed......Fred

The one thing that must never be over looked when arguing over ballistics is bullet placement. The best bullet in the world can't do it's job if it ain't placed right. I'm sure you know that by now. I wouldn't get to hung up on ball vs conical or whether the ball completely passes through. Just make sure you know whatever your using goes in the right place. :thumbsup:

Capper said:
You say:

"Foot pounds Garbage. Means nothing"

Ok, you shoot me with a 250gr bullet that has 2fpe, and i'll shoot you with a 250gr bullet that has 1000fpe.

See how that works out for you.

What an utter stupid arrogant and ignorant thing to say.
Then in another reply you deny that you are causing things to go ugly! Amazing! Encouraging two gentlemen to shoot at each other brings me to despair and question your mental age sir!

Bullets, balls and arrows kill game by the same way, they are all the same therefore. They drain blood. Hence ft/lbs mean nothing. A mathmatical equation. Just the same as an engine developing an amount of horse power, 100horses will pull alot more than a 100hp engine ever will, it's just a mathmatical guage.

I shoot at you, you shoot at me :rotf: :youcrazy:

Brits.

Getting ugly is calling me stupid arrogant and ignorant.

What makes you think you can say that to me?

I gave you an example of why fpe does make a difference, but you can't handle that. You'd rather give personal insults, because you have no point.

Whatever.

Britsmoothie, it is useless to argue with those who are stuck in the present with modern bullet concepts trying to be applied to the prb.If someone sayd a 30-30 is the min for Elk and you need to find as ML with the same velocity/ftlbs as a min ML for elk it just does not work that way dur to the differences in the two projectiles, it is not apples and apples, I am not saying you can shoot Elk with a .62 ball at 3FPS just that ballistics are not applied the same for the two types of guns/projectiles, there is not much more ne can say about it.

That's some nice scenery and elk :hatsoff:. Something I've always wondered... since us out "east" think the mountains out west looks so good, do the people out west think all our crick and river bottoms look amazing?

luie b said:
That's some nice scenery and elk :hatsoff:. Something I've always wondered... since us out "east" think the mountains out west looks so good, do the people out west think all our crick and river bottoms look amazing?

We have cricks too.

If experience counts, every elk kill I have been in on, both my shot or someone else's, shows the elk is tough, and needs to be hit hard in the right place. Over 100 yards with any muzzleloading rifle can be asking for trouble unless many pounds of powder is used before season, shooting from field positions.

The closest I have shot an elk was about 10 yards, the furthest maybe 75 yards. They are approachable if you take your time. Listen to GMB-aim to take out the top of the heart. As for loads: big ball and lots of powder.

Just to make it clear, I purposely mis-spelled "creek." It annoys the heck out of me when people say it as "creeeeek." Their always telling me that ain't how you say it but our school's filled with Chicago teachers and kids whos' family moved here a decade or two ago from the city.

luie b said:
Just to make it clear, I purposely mis-spelled "creek." It annoys the heck out of me when people say it as "creeeeek." Their always telling me that ain't how you say it but our school's filled with Chicago teachers and kids whos' family moved here a decade or two ago from the city.

I didn't think you misspelled it. A lot of people say crick instead of creek.

luie b said:
Yeah, but it's spelled creek.

It's spelled creek if you say creek.

Crick is a variation. From the dictionary.

crick 2 (krk)
n. Upper Northern & Western U.S.
Variant of creek. See Regional Note at run.

That's some nice scenery and elk . Something I've always wondered... since us out "east" think the mountains out west looks so good, do the people out west think all our crick and river bottoms look amazing?

Luie, I have lived and hunted in the northwoods of the UP and Wisconsin, the Piedmont and mountains of Virginia, the plains of Colorado and Nebraska and of course the high country of Colorado. And, yes, those crick (exactly what we called it up north) and river bottoms have a beauty all their own just as the high plains of the west have. Must admit, it took a while for the beauty of the high plains to grow on me, but after a while it does grow on you.

Nothing smells so clean and wild as a wet river bottom on a cool fall morning in the mid west. And, nothing is quite so thrilling as the rarified air of the high country above timberline surrounded by meadows and valleys.

Every place has it's special treats for the senses.

A native Wisconsinite and I say "crick". An equivalent to the dictionary form of "creek" is "brook" so wouldn't it be logical to say "brick"?.....Fred

Around here we use both. If its generic, like, "over by the crick", or if someone is referring to a named waterway, its "over by Conesus Creek". :idunno:
Robby

Scan_Pic0001-21.jpg

A mile from my house.

Latest posts

Back