• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk with a roundball stories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Robby, supposedly, we don't have wolves. I've never seen any, or heard them. Colorado is supposed to have upwards of 300,000 elk.

marmotslayer said:
That's some nice scenery and elk . Something I've always wondered... since us out "east" think the mountains out west looks so good, do the people out west think all our crick and river bottoms look amazing?

Luie, I have lived and hunted in the northwoods of the UP and Wisconsin, the Piedmont and mountains of Virginia, the plains of Colorado and Nebraska and of course the high country of Colorado. And, yes, those crick (exactly what we called it up north) and river bottoms have a beauty all their own just as the high plains of the west have. Must admit, it took a while for the beauty of the high plains to grow on me, but after a while it does grow on you.

Nothing smells so clean and wild as a wet river bottom on a cool fall morning in the mid west. And, nothing is quite so thrilling as the rarified air of the high country above timberline surrounded by meadows and valleys.

Every place has it's special treats for the senses.

I agree,
I never gave sage land much thought until I started antler picking twenty years ago.
I love spring time in the sage.
it's about the only time of the year it's not to hot for me but the smell is intoxicating.

luie b said:
That's some nice scenery and elk :hatsoff:. Something I've always wondered... since us out "east" think the mountains out west looks so good, do the people out west think all our crick and river bottoms look amazing?
I grew up on the Canadian border and I love trampsin through crik bottoms and dark hollers.
killed many deer that way

We have lots of cricks and river bottom lans here on the left coast but I have always loved the photos and paintings of the eastern woodlands it is a completely different ecosytem, different plants/animals/trees, very beautifull, and a huge area compared to the little Willamette valley here in Oregon, do you have crawdads or crayfish? we have crawdads here, in the 1840's much of this land was settled by midwestern folks and many parallels still exist I believe, a man from Tennesse founded the town I live in.

With that many elk, how come it's so difficult to obtain a non-resident elk MLer permit?....Fred

flehto said:
With that many elk, how come it's so difficult to obtain a non-resident elk MLer permit?....Fred

Because everybody wants to hunt the early season when they're in the rut.

Plus, they don't like snow. :wink:

Around here it's crick. And the 4 round things on your truck are tars. :surrender: Larry Wv

Because everybody wants to hunt here? I don't know for sure, but I know it gets harder and harder to draw elk tags for everyone.

Back a couple years ago when I was working the early shift, I'd hop in my patrol rig and there would be around 100 elk at the end of my drive.

This is kind of embarrassing, but my mouth waters when I see elk.
The anti's always make a good showing at the Div. of Wildlife meetings. I went to one to argue against inlines, and sat down next to an older lady. She said,"aren't elk beautiful?" And I answered that there was nothing better than a round steak on the grill. (I didn't even suspicion she was an anti). She got up and moved. :grin:

Mike Brines said:
Because everybody wants to hunt here? I don't know for sure, but I know it gets harder and harder to draw elk tags for everyone.
That and there are five million locals who can draw tags.

Mike Brines said:
This is kind of embarrassing, but my mouth waters when I see elk.
The anti's always make a good showing at the Div. of Wildlife meetings. I went to one to argue against inlines, and sat down next to an older lady. She said,"aren't elk beautiful?" And I answered that there was nothing better than a round steak on the grill. (I didn't even suspicion she was an anti). She got up and moved. :grin:
yup, 90 percent of the time I'm just like them damn bunny huggers, enjoying Natures beauty.
The other 10 percent it tooth and fang for me filling my freezer.
Most hippies still eat meat, they should keep their mouth shut when it's full.
I choose to look the meat in the eye and then kill it.

I think Gman should show up at the Div. of Wildlife meetings wearing a T-shirt with his avatar photo printed on it. :rotf:

ground rat it's what's fer dinner.
:haha:

DSCF2561.jpg

Latest posts

Back