• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English Scalper in Deer Bone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A representation of an English trade scalper, handled in a deer leg bone, and wrapped in deer rawhide. The 7 1/4" 01 steel blade has it's full width tang secured under the rawhide by two iron pins. The bone is slotted to allow this, and internally reinforced. The tang is longer than standard to provide extra strength. The knife is fitted to my standard type center seam sheath. Hope you enjoy a look.

Picture036.jpg

I handled this knife, very nice!
As good as it looks, it feels even better! It fits the hand like a glove. Great balance, nice feel all around. One of my favorites for sure!
Great work Wick! :v

Great looking work as always Wick the rawhide wrap on the bone and over all look just makes you wanna use it

Geez Wick, if you ever get up this way, you have a place to stay, a forge to use, and whatever else you need to make you comfortable. All you got to do, is leave some of your crumbs. Beautiful job! :hatsoff:
Robby

Wick

The tang is rabbeted, then? Love that O-1. Is the rawhide soaked, stretched, wrapped wet and allowed to dry?

Wick

The tang is rabbeted, then? Love that O-1. Is the rawhide soaked, stretched, wrapped wet and allowed to dry?

I first fill the bone with fiberglass. When cured, the bone is slotted to the tang thickness. The tang is made slightly over size. The tang is set, pinned, then dressed to the bone. I soak the rawhide overnight, then wrap stretching it as I go. I then let it dry for a day or so. This type of wrapping causes the exposed edges of the RH to stand a little proud. I carefully play a low flame torch on these edges which causes them to draw in and lay flatter.

Another beautiful knife!
How do you treat the rawhide wrap to prevent it from failing when it gets wet?
JEB/Ms

Back