• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English style blunderbuss build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to start a post of my blunderbuss build. This project began about 2 years ago when I saw a parts set from Pecatonica River at the Kalamazoo living history show. I ended up placing an order with them for walnut stock with just barrel channel and ramrod done, no other inlets. Their barrel is made by Rice in 4 bore flared to about 2 inches. The guys at Pecatonica were very easy to work with and their partially carved stock came as ordered some nice figured grain and tons of extra wood to work with, essentially no wrist. Perfect for this project as it will be modified quite a bit. This will be quite a few posts, as the gun is nearly finished. More to come!

IMG_5772.jpeg
IMG_5771.jpeg

My vision for this project was for a fairly ornate english blunderbuss. I am only 3 years along my gun building journey, my last project was a Chambers NE fowler in 10 ga. I really wanted to learn more of the decorative skills like wire inlay, engraving, and improving my carving. I began my research with The Blunderbuss book by Foreman from TOW, good history and some fair quality black and white photos of originals. Most of my inspiration came from searching auction sites for fancy British examples from 1740’s-80s. I found a gun from 1747 by Jordan of London with “Bankers of 59 Strand” engraved on the thumb piece. This gun would be my reference for the general architecture.

Attachments

• IMG_7445.png
    IMG_7445.png
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_7446.png
    IMG_7446.png
    215.1 KB
  • IMG_5352.png
    IMG_5352.png
    1.9 MB
After studying a lot of english busses, I ordered a large english fowler butt plate, large acorn finial trigger guard, fowler style pipes, and a Chamber English round faced lock as well as their fancy english fowler side plate and thumb piece.

Soon I got right to work on the barrel. Draw filing, tang bent and worked into a thumbnail shape, breech face checked for a good seal. Barrel inlet first then the tang. There was a little extra space around the breech and tang bolster from the duplicator cutters, but I planned on bedding the whole barrel with Acraglass for strength, it is a 4 bore after all!
IMG_5811.jpeg
IMG_5814.jpeg
IMG_5825.jpeg

I built a blunder buss from a kit that I bought off of Mike Lee. It was also a 4 bore. We had a blast shooting cut up broom handles to 1” in length. I would load up about 5 of them and shoot them straight up and we would hear them bounce off of our tin roofs. No damage done and we all got a laugh. Shooting a load of cotton balls would make it snow in July.

The dreaded english butt plate… please, if you have a quicker way to do these, do tell. I have to clear my schedule for quite a while to finish these. I rough shape the butt end of the stock with a 18th century belt sander, then hit it with inletting black fitting the end first then down into the stock. About a thousand times I think…got a good fit.
IMG_5871.jpeg
IMG_5873.jpeg
IMG_5895.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg
IMG_5896.jpeg

Rapid fire progress pic dump… lock plate, lock bolts. The trigger posed some unique challenges, had to scoot it toward the lock so it would reach the sear arm, added some metal to the trigger height after bringing the wood as high as I dared without breaking into the ramrod channel. The whole trigger assembly was a pretty custom project. Had to anneal and bend the trigger guard quite a bit- scary. Those things are not cheap. Side plate was a challenging inlet job.
IMG_7451.png
IMG_7452.png
IMG_7454.png
IMG_7455.png
IMG_6503.jpeg
IMG_6502.jpeg
IMG_6628.jpeg
IMG_6629.jpeg

Early this spring I really started thinking about and studying wire inlay and engraving. Dave Person’s tutorials are priceless for any English project. I found all kinds of great references. Lots of threads here. I purchased John Schippers book on engraving, Sam Alfano’s old school hammer and chisel video, some books on English gunmakers. Searched as much English wire and engraving I could find. Bought some graver blanks, diamond stones, made some wire inlay tools and basically dived right in. Early efforts were pretty crude, but I was seeing rapid improvement.
IMG_7458.png
IMG_7462.png
IMG_7459.png

I thought about the carving for this project for quite a while. After studying lots of these guns, I concluded less is probably more. Even the fancier English blunderbusses had relatively little carving, although extremely well executed. Most commonly an English shell or plain beaver tail around the tang. Rarely beaver tails around the lock panels which I omitted. I did a shell on my fowler project but it was not at the British quality level. Here is the reference carving from an original and my design. Just have to take your time…thumbpiece inlet also.
IMG_7457.png
IMG_7468.png
IMG_7471.png
IMG_7470.png
IMG_7469.png

Back