• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English style blunderbuss build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the shell carving, I really did not take many pictures of the stock shaping. Lots of wood removed everywhere, lock panels thinned, baluster wrist extended to about 2/3 into the stock. I left some moderate swelling around the entry pipe as this was a pretty common feature reminiscent of the Brown Bess and other military style blunderbusses. I like the looks of it.

I wanted get into the wire inlay. I only found a couple examples of busses with wire inlay and it was not as extensive as usually found on British fowlers. Here is an example of an original on Tortuga trading website. This gun has been a guide for much of my engraving, especially the trigger guard.

IMG_7494.png
IMG_7497.png
IMG_7489.png
IMG_7493.png

Ok, wire inlay. Pretty cool stuff. I started by making a couple cutters one out of a small screw driver that was shaped into about 1/16 rounded football shape in cross section, and another about 1/8 inch from an xacto blade that I mounted in a palm graver. Thats it. The idea is to separate the wood grain rocking the cutter along your layout lines. I started with some practice projects with .005 to .014 brass and german silver wire. My daughter and I did a shamrock design that she came up with.

Now for my designs, I did not copy any original designs but took inspiration from originals and some of Dave Person’s work. Makes the project move into more fantasy gun territory, but I am really hoping the English influence comes through. The design evolved around a dragon head on the right side of the stock and a white lily on the left. Lots of drawing, doodling, reworking until satisfied. I got some 5/64 pure silver plate for the inlays and .010 pure silver wire along with some .005 and .008 german silver wire and pin stock. I had not worked with soft pure silver wire before, it is much more difficult manipulate, has an almost greasy effect when trying to file it flush. I would recommend filing along in the directory of the flow of wire to avoid jagged edges.

I drew my designs over a traced outline of the stock so they would be correct size to transfer to the stock with tracing paper and carbon paper taped underneath.

IMG_7476.png
I transferred the design to the wood with a ball end stylus. Cut out my inlays with the jewelers saw and inlaid them before the wire. The inlays will have the detailing engraved into them at a later time (when I can engrave well enough).

IMG_7473.png
IMG_7474.png

First line of wire going in. Where the wires meet, I just filed the appropriate bevels on the ends to make them flow together. Many of the joints disappear when filed.

IMG_7475.png
Almost done. I go over the wire with a wet pipe cleaner to swell the wood around the wire after it has been tapped in. The qtips left too many fibers.

IMG_7478.png
IMG_7477.png
IMG_7480.png
There it is. I wetted the wood for contrast, it is not ready for finish, but the wire is in and filed. Some round pin wire was added to the ends of many of the scrolls later for effect. The thinner darker wire is german silver. The bright white is fine silver. All I can say is do your homework, practice and go for it! Scary when you have come this far and don’t want to screw up. Suppose I’ll have plenty more opportunities to mess this up with engraving…

Hi Andy,
Very good work! If you look straight on the cutting blade of my tools, you would see the blade is football shaped in cross section with the ends rounded slightly. That allows me to step along a curved line without the ends of the blade creating a jagged step-like incised line. I simply use straight line stabbing cutters 1/6", 1/8" and 1/4" in length all shaped as I described. You seem to be doing fine with your tools so I just mention this FYI. Other wire workers like Dave Price and Ed Wenger use gouges of different sizes to incise the curves. If your design has multiple wires converging together, lay the first wire in before stabbing the next line, then lay that wire in before stabbing the line for the next wire and so forth. That prevents chipping out a slice of wood where the wires come together.

dave

Back